Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to record birds and other outdoor sounds?

Options
  • 20-11-2010 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I want to get myself some sort of equipment for recording sounds outdoors and know very little about what's out there for it. I'm unfortunately aiming for as far from expensive as possible but suspect the traditional dictaphone would have very small range (perhaps not) and I want to be able to collect surrounding sounds rather than necessarily getting up close.

If anyone who uses such things has a minute you might advise me.

Good wishes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Was looking for something like this myself, I tried the mobile phone sound recorder, some sounds came out really clear others not at all, dont know if a voice recorder would work, they had some little ones in Lidl which were very reasonable but didnt know if they would work either.

The ones you can get from bird watching suppliers are very expensive. Would be interested in any replies you get also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

get a rode ntg 1 ,2 or 3 depending on how much money you have.They are shot gun mics of good quality and cheap. get a good wind shiels like a roycote, they can be picked up on ebay for about 30 uk pounds used and also get a handle/grip so not to introduce handling noise on your recordings.for recording you could get a zoom or tascam bb 800, i dont know much about either but they seem popular. all this gear will add up but it should last years if looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

the zoom and this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598800-REG/Alesis_PROTRACK_RECORDING_KIT_ProTrack_Mobile_Recording_Kit.html

come with mics so if you get the recorder first then you could buy the directional mic when the IMF have sorted the place out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I've used the Zoom H2 for you want to do with fairly good results. It would be much better quality than a dictafone/mobile phone etc.
    It has 4 built in mics and allows for mono, stereo and 4 channel surround sound if required. There's an audio compressor setting which is good for bringing up the quieter sounds. Also brings up other sounds you mightn't want though :(
    You can also use an external mic for better quality.
    In MP3 192 with only a 512 MB card, you'll get over 5 hrs record time in good quality mono. The H4 version is a slightly advanced model.

Either can be got second hand for, I guess, 100 Euro and up. Try asking on Adverts.ie

I should add that the Zoom, and presumably other similar machines, can also be used for recording from the audio outputs from radios and your PC etc, so it's useful to have even if not for recording bird calls.

Advertisement