Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Gushing From Oil Filter Cap after Oil Change w/ Photos

Options
  • 19-11-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi To All
    Changed the oil twice before in my 06 / 1.3 diesel Combo Van and all went well.
    This time I started it up and the 2.5 liters gushed out in like 5 sec. I immediately shut

down and thought I had not tighten the plastic oil filter cover, I kicked myself. :eh

So bought some more oil and I just started the van for 1 sec. and about a liter came out.

Right where the plastic cap meets the metal oil filter housing.

So far I think ...
    1.) "O" ring in wrong notch
    2.) Plastic Cap needs some mysterious positioning alignment
    3.) The plastic guard rail that the top spring sets into needs replacing, even though Im

sure I seated the top spring to the guard rail flush.
    000.jpg
    001.jpg
    002.jpg
    003.jpg

If anyone can tell lend ahand I will thnak you in advance.... Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I maybe wrong but there seems to be a hole in the filter cap...thats on the
    3rd pic where you have the yellow arrow...:confused:
    Maybe get onto to your opel dealer and see have the got a filter cap to
    compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Did you cross thread it?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Plug wrote: »
    Did you cross thread it?

^^^^^this be what I'm thinkin too :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

I reckon that the squeezed-out o ring caused the leak. You definitely removed the old o ring didn't you? It looks like there's a seal in the housing that the filter screws in to and I'd be surprised if the o ring was supposed to seal against that instead of the metal housing.

Can you try fitting it again to see what exactly is pushing the o ring out of place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HapInStance

Thank You All For The Replies
    Other people have said that I need to move the O ring down 1 notch, I m gonna try this again in the morning. Seems to be a distinct grove in the metal housing for the ring.

smokie /Plug
    I could have crossed threaded, plastic against metal would be ez to do but I checked that the cap butted to the metal housing after I tightened the cap nut.

Row
    The holes, arrow, groves and teal dots are a mystery. Im going to the dealer Sat. and will bring that part.

Thanks again... I will post what happens tomorrow - Jack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

I think you're tightening the filter cap too much causing the O-ring to extrude. It probably only needs to be "snug and a bit".

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HapInStance

I did go today and get a new filter which was the only way to get the O ring.
    And bought a 32mm socket for the plastic bolt on top of the housing.
    I asked the service manager at Opel what notch the O ring belonged in and to my amazement he knew and told me.
    I feel 100% confident that I will have the van running Sun.
    Thanks again ...jack

Advertisement