Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Anton/Innsbruck

Options
  • 19-11-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi,

Planning a trip to St Anton in the new year - does anyone know of flights direct from Dublin to Innsbruck? What airport do the charters fly into for those who have gone on packages?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

No direct flights Dublin- Innsbruck AFAIK. We used to go to St. Anton via Friedrichshafen but Ryanair no longer do that route. They now go to Memmingen, just had a quick look at the German Rail website and they say a journey time of about 4 hours.
    Alternatively, Aer Lingus to Zurich, train time (I'm told) to St Anton about 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Long shot is to look at the companies that charter flights from Dublin. I flew to Innsbruck from Dublin to get to st anton for the last two years (topflight and crystal ski). Tis a long shot though - maybe nearer the departure time gives better bartering power if they are underbooked. Never tried it myself so could be talking junk but if desperate.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

i've been looking at st. anton myself today.

best option i have come across is aerlingus to Zurich for €189
    then 2-3 hours from Zurich to the resort.

anyone seen anything better ?
    i've got my heart set on st. anton after feedback from friends and reviews online

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Thanks for the suggestions, another option is Memingmen in Germany which Ryanair fly into.. transport is bus for EUR40 e/w

Personally haven't actually booked anything yet!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

just booked flights to Zurich with Swiss air for 142euro return for the end of january, its about a 2-3hr train journey to st. anton. Although we'll probably be hiring a minibus to take us. Should work out at about 60-80euro return.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did Dublin to Innsbruck a few years ago on Czech Airlines. I think it was a chartered flight to Austria and then it carried on to Prague or something as a regular scheduled flight, was all booked as part of a package anyway.

cheapest way would be to get a flight to Memmingen and rent a car - you'd be there in a few hours. those ski tranfer minibuses are very expensive unless you can fill one and bargain on that basis (as a group and not per individual).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭donal666

Go to Zurich and just get the train from there - zero hassle.... Straight off to the Krazy Kanguruh after you get there!! Awesome resort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but has anyone traveled here recently? Looking at booking a trip in March. Currently looking for flights, accommodation etc. Any tips would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

All the above probably still apply.

Still no non charters direct.

Zurich and train probably handiest. Train station in Zurich is right in the airport.

Can try and book flights only with crystal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Zurich and then about a two and a half hour drive. Aer Lingus flight gets in too late to get the last train (unless they've changed it?). Swiss flight leaves too early in the morning return to not have to spend a night in Zurich. You can't book swiss flights one way without them being prohibitively expensive for some reason.

You can also get to Friedrichshafen via frankfurt by Lufthansa and drive, similar time I think.

Or go to Munich, think its similar distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Yes, 2 and a half hour drive from Munich too. Don't know what the flight times to Zurich are like, but there's early morning & late evening Dub-Mun flights everyday so it's very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Just worth noting if flying Swiss Air, they seem to have a new fare model, and the classic fare includes a free checked bag. This also include a free ski bag for anyone transporting gear.

Booking to Geneva this year including my hefty ski bag came in at 117 euro return :) practically a free flight!

I haven't checked out the times for the Zurich flights this year but I think they were a bit funny last year and didn't suit. Aer Lingus last year had great times, I think they flew out around 11am, landing 2pm and coming back they were departing around 3pm. It suited the train times well.

Also if you are booking trains in advance you need to get the tickets on release (around 2-3 months before the date) as the cheapest fare is €19 euro each way, otherwise it'll cost around €60 each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Just worth noting if flying Swiss Air, they seem to have a new fare model, and the classic fare includes a free checked bag. This also include a free ski bag for anyone transporting gear.

Booking to Geneva this year including my hefty ski bag came in at 117 euro return :) practically a free flight!

Is that Swiss Air Dublin to Geneva?

It is indeed, I'm going on a Sunday and back on a Sunday. I'm not sure if they have flights on Saturdays this year as I haven't checked, but worth a look.

I emailed them to double check the ski bag thing as it wasn't very clear about it on their website and it's free with the classic and flex fare (not the 'lite' one). I have flown Zurich with them a couple of years previously and the ski bag was free then also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adricky

I'm planning to go to St Anton in Jan, does anybody have any recommendations for accommodation?
    Ideally a 2 bedroom apartment.

This probably has a good percentage of the apartments in St Anton: http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accomodations/all-accommodations

Do a search on that, realistically you will be limited as it's late enough to book for St Anton. if you don't find something in the link above, I normally get on google maps and find the names of apartments in the area I want to stay, check their websites, then email them individually for availability. Requires a lot of work but pays off most times. Be aware that prices on apartments are normally per day and don't include the end cleaning fee and local tax (I think 2.20 per day per person from memory). Ask for a total price when you're enquiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

email the tourist office your requirements. They will come back with a pdf document of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

DoraDelite wrote: »
    It is indeed, I'm going on a Sunday and back on a Sunday. I'm not sure if they have flights on Saturdays this year as I haven't checked, but worth a look.

I emailed them to double check the ski bag thing as it wasn't very clear about it on their website and it's free with the classic and flex fare (not the 'lite' one). I have flown Zurich with them a couple of years previously and the ski bag was free then also.

When we came back from Geneva this Summer they were making a *big* deal of checking hand luggage weight and dimensions for people who were on the "light" fare. People on the full fare didn't get the same level of scrutiny. In essence they seemed to be ensuring that if you went for the light fare you weren't going to be able to cram everything into your carry-on instead.

I also had to ring (a couple of times in fact) to confirm their ski bag policy as it's not 100% clear from their website that you have an extra weight allowance. The last time I was talking to someone they said something along the lines of "You have 23kg checked luggage, you have 9kg (or whatever it was) carry-on and you have an additional 23kg of sports gear".

We briefly considered bringing kayaks over (just because we could), but decided that perhaps it wasn't such a good idea and stuck with skis instead.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Just as an FYI Aer Lingus have flights into Zurich around 11 on Saturdays- very easy to get to St Anton and you arrive right into the centre of the town.

Interested to see my old thread re-raised! St Anton is a definite for this year.. I however am lucky enough to be currently living a train journey from there so a day trip is easy:-)

Advertisement