Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birthornot.com

Options
  • 19-11-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭

www.birthornot.com

I don't know if this is the right forum, for this but it's interesting.
    It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be just a sociological experiment... but similarly...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Abortions ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Saw it yesterday, it absolutely reeks of "set up" tbh.

Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ficheall wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the right forum...
    OisinT wrote: »
    Abortions ftw.

Well, that might answer that...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I wasted a few minutes trying to find some sort of background story on the site, to no avail. Why are they asking people to vote on this exactly?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm kind of disgusted about it to be honest. Why aren't they taking responsibility and making their own damn decision? It's a pretty private affair and not something appropriate to be put to vote on a website :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I tried to read through the site - the posts seem to go from 'we're pregnant and excited after 3 miscarriages to be so' to 'tell us whether we should abort or not'. Very strange site. If it is a sociological experiment, it's a very badly designed one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Uh, wtf? :confused:

I'm all for pro-choice in most circumstances, but they're leaving it up to the very last day they'd be legally allowed to abort? For a vote on the internet?

On one hand I want to say abort, because tbh I don't think they should have kids if they're leaving it to the 'net to decide for them, but I also disagree heavily with aborting at the very last day.. that's quite late in the pregnancy (depending on how long the state offers, I don't know that so I could be wrong).

That's an awful lot of trouble for the woman to go through just for a social experiment. What would've happen if "abort" was chosen? What would've happened if there were complications? What would've happened if her maternal instinct kicked in after and she felt awful about it?

I mean, I'm all for social experimentation but christ.. this involves a kid, and a mother's health and both mental and physical well-being.

How strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Wow. Even for the internet, this is pretty sick. I'm no pro-lifer. Quite the opposite. But putting the choice down to a bunch of anonymous randomers just seems incredibly illogical and, well, creepy. As the internet has proven in the past, when you give people the option for voting for something like suicide or something equally controversial, people will vote for the unsavouory option just as a test. Whether they believe it or not. Internet votes count for nothing. Putting a potential life on the line because of it is fucked up.

They're already in the 2nd trimester by a few weeks, by the way. :(

Apparently the wife has also had 1 unplanned and 2 planned pregnancies prior that resulted in miscarriages. Why would she want to put herself through it again?

This has to be a hoax, it's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Fake site put up by pro-lifers in an attempt to smear pro-choice people. They paint the worst possible picture of someone who is pro-choice. Very easy and very clever, in reality, all a load of sh**.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

If it's real it is absolutely disgusting, posting scan pics and everything of this little baby, that so many other people would give everything for. But then I think it can't possibly be real because sure nobody could go to the bother of nicknaming it and putting up the scans if they were considering aborting it.

And she says she thinks she's too old now to have a baby? Most people nowadays (wrongly) think that it's grand to start at 35+ which drives me mad but she seems to think the opposite, 30 is by no means old to have a baby.

I personally would be pro choice and am fine with people having abortions, if that is what is best for them for whatever reason (finances, health issues, etc) but to just be deciding in such a flippant way and at such a late stage when so many people suffer miscarriages all the time and it devastates them, it's horrible.

If it's fake it's still sick.

http://www.ministryoftruth.me.uk/2010/11/18/birth-or-not-busted-site-linked-to-climate-change-denier-site/

Well, evidence points to hoax, although hoax isn't confirmed 100% (afaik) it's pretty much definitely a hoax. Thank god. :eek:

Is it bad that I wouldn't've been all that shocked, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wonder what would happen if you found out later in life that your survival hinged on an internet vote.

It's almost certainly fake anyway, nobody would ever trivialise a life to such a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Meh. Attention seeking hoax.

I'm off to kill a few hundred million babies.
    Smell ya later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

If it's a pro-lifer stunt, that's even sicker than it being real. Stooping to the very lowest form of making a point. Again, fucked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Looks like someone aborted the website... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

liah wrote: »

It's the sad fact of things.
    kowloon wrote: »
    It's almost certainly fake anyway, nobody would ever trivialise a life to such a degree.

You'd be suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I wonder what would happen if you found out later in life that your survival hinged on an internet vote.

Its not a life until its born.

©ArtofTrolling.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I genuinely know two girls who, when they were 18/19, got pregnant, and actually decided to go the route of "I'll drink a bottle of vodka and if that doesn't get rid of it I'll keep it". One ended up in A&E getting her stomach pumped and had a miscarraige, the other just had a very bad hangover and has a 6 year old now.

I always reckoned that the amount of babies born to young ones in my home town must be nothing compared to the number that must have actually gotten pregnant, and many of them kept the baby because they couldn't afford the lump sum of an abortion.

(What a classy town, I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

liah wrote: »
    http://www.ministryoftruth.me.uk/2010/11/18/birth-or-not-busted-site-linked-to-climate-change-denier-site/

Well, evidence points to hoax, although hoax isn't confirmed 100% (afaik) it's pretty much definitely a hoax. Thank god. :eek:

Climate change denier?

Check out this dude. You have to love American politics.

Watch the face on the girl behind him @25 seconds. Actually, watch her expression through the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Hope they'll enjoy the abuse they'll get when they reveal it was all an experiment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

if you click on any of the links, the URL changes to some made long URL with campaign IDs in them. Not sure if thats a standard WordPress thing but theres definately something up with it. No ordinary Joe Soap would be able to set up ad campaigns in Google Analytics or whatever, without being computer savvy enough to know you don't put websites like this up online!!

Definately a hoax.

EDIT: Just checked the "referrer" site that seems to be in every URL. arkayne.com - Online Content Marketing Made Simple! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Heard Turbridy talking about this on the radio and my first thought was, "Surely any sane person would immediately expect this to be a hoax."

But no Ryan weighs with how obscene it is, doing exactly what these pro-lifers hoped would happen.

Do people just believe everything blindly these days? I mean come one - how can it not be a hoax?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Do people just believe everything blindly these days? I mean come one - how can it not be a hoax?

Isn't the fairly frequent threads in PI with a poster newly pregnant asking whether they should have an abortion or not? I would swear I have seen those before. Not exactly the same thing, but not all that different either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

prinz wrote: »
    Isn't the fairly frequent threads in PI with a poster newly pregnant asking whether they should have an abortion or not? I would swear I have seen those before. Not exactly the same thing, but not all that different either.

That's looking for advice anonymously, not putting it to a public vote. It's a big difference I think.

Come on - who would let the trolls of the internet decide whether they keep their unborn child or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Heard Turbridy talking about this on the radio and my first thought was, "Surely any sane person would immediately expect this to be a hoax."

But no Ryan weighs with how obscene it is, doing exactly what these pro-lifers hoped would happen.

Ryan Tubridy is not exactly the sharpest tool in the box.

Come on - who would let the trolls of the internet decide whether they keep their unborn child or not?

An even bigger troll. Still it wouldn't have suprised me either way. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I'm very much pro-choice, I've only ever met a tiny minority of people that are pro-life. Does anyone else find it insanely maddening that the minority of people get to decide what women can do with their own bodies:mad::mad::mad:??? Seriously it's one of my biggest source of rage that if I ever decide to have an abortion I will have to travel away from home, at what will already be a very upsetting time. I would love a new referendum on this, or does the Catholic Church still hold enough sway in this country to block it???

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

That's disappointing. I thought it was going to be like hotornot with pictures of fetuses that I could vote on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement