Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Plastic Bumper scratch/dent

Options
  • 19-11-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi there, while reversing my car this morning I brushed the back left corner of the bumper on a parked car. The bumper is structurally sound with no cracks, but has a bit of a groove and tearing of the surface (See below). What are my options? Do I have to replace the bumper or can a job be done to fix what is basically a cosmetic problem?

Thanks in advance.
    Lar

Bumper.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Someone like Paintdoctor/Dentmaster/Chips Away can make that disappear, certainly no need for a new bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

Thanks Stevie. I'll give those guys a shout.

Is that a E39 BMW? Just curious :)

Yep. An 11 year old BMW 5 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Definitely no need for a new bumper at all. You'd have a few repair options with that depending on how much plastic has been gouged out. You could just melt the plastic and work it together, let it cool for an hour, then sand off any high spots and fill it if there's a good amount of the original plastic left. If not, best thing to do would be to scuff the rear side with some heavy sandpaper, and apply a small sheet of fibreglass to reinforce it, then sand away any high spots, fill, smooth, prime, paint, lacquer. No biggie!

If you want to tackle it yourself, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

• Advertisement

Definitely no need for a new bumper at all. You'd have a few repair options with that depending on how much plastic has been gouged out. You could just melt the plastic and work it together, let it cool for an hour, then sand off any high spots and fill it if there's a good amount of the original plastic left. If not, best thing to do would be to scuff the rear side with some heavy sandpaper, and apply a small sheet of fibreglass to reinforce it, then sand away any high spots, fill, smooth, prime, paint, lacquer. No biggie!

If you want to tackle it yourself, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks Paintdoctor. I'd give it a go if it was my own car, but don't think it'd wash with the owner if I suggested I give it a shot ; )
    He's looking to go down the breakers yard route, says he has a bumper (same colour in perfect condition) and just wants €250 from me to get it done.
    In your opinion, do you reckon thats a good option (obviously I'll be looking for a receipt of some sort for closure)? Seems like a deal?

You'd be mad to replace the bumper on an new car never mind an 11 year old car for that damage, €250?! Less than €100 would get you a perfect result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I got my recent aquisition at a decent price, largely because of a few minor bodywork issues. It's a 97 Jag xj6 and normally costs for any repair/mechanical work for the likes of this would be prohibitive. I enjoy doing it myself, so this isnt an issue. One of the main bits of damage was to the front corner of the front bumper. I took the bumper off, removed the bumper "outer" which was damaged, fixed some wire mesh to the inside, using body filler and then gradually filled up the hole, working in layers. Sanded, primed, sprayed (using a colour matched spray can) laquered and the jobs sorted. I still haven't buffed the finished product, but not a bad result, if I do say so myself. I also took the opportunity to straighten the chrome trim and repair the accompanying cracks under the bumper around the indicator and spot light. It took an afternoon and cost about €20 in materials. No brainer! Pics will follow as soon as I resolve an "uploading" issue!

250 seems steepish, but if the guy is offering to fit aswell, he's not a million miles out. I think offering the guy between 150 and 175 would be fair. Remember, 11 year old car or not, the guys entitled to a new bumper (Bout 400 from BMW), and painting+fitting which would be another 350 approx!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

250 seems steepish, but if the guy is offering to fit aswell, he's not a million miles out. I think offering the guy between 150 and 175 would be fair. Remember, 11 year old car or not, the guys entitled to a new bumper (Bout 400 from BMW), and painting+fitting which would be another 350 approx!

That's the crux of it there. Unfortunately you hit him so he is under no obligation whatsoever to accept your offers or ideas. He could just as easily say he is going to his insurance company and getting a main dealer to fit brand new parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

if anybody paid any more than 100 euro for a second hand bumper i would be amazed and twenty mins would fit it dont be bullied into anything i would tell him 200 max or tell him to go to his solicitor bet he take the 200

He doesn't need to go to a solicitor at all. He hit the other car and admitted it so he has to pay. If the person that was hit is ok with settling it without involving the insurance company then fine but they are under no obligation to accept anything. They can go via insurance if they like and get all new parts fitted. And then your no claims goes bye bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

think your wrong there gpf the insurance company wont always pay for new and or a lot stricter now plus he is probably getting the job done for 100 and pocketing the rest if he goes through insurance he wont get anything plus if he didnt report the incident to his own insurance theres nothing stopping the other driver deigning all knowledge no solicitor going to be interested over a couple of hundred quid

geespot wrote: »
    think your wrong there gpf the insurance company wont always pay for new

Yes they will, if the Insurance company fits a second hand bumper, they could be opening themselves up to all sorts of liability should the secondhand bumper prove to be a weaker fitment than a new one in the event of an accident (Not that bumpers are structural, but you get my meaning about it applying to repairs in general).

I agree by the way I don't thnk there is any need for a new bumper at all! But that's the way they tend to do it. You'd get paintdoctor to it or even a repair and paint the whole lot in a bodyshop for a very reasonable price.

Here are the before and after pics of the repair as mentioned in my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

while on the same subject, if u took the bumper off to get it repaired, can you drive around bumperless???

sogood wrote: »
    Here are the before and after pics of the repair as mentioned in my previous post.

For a home done job, that's not bad at all! You've some echos of the original damage due to the filler not being sanded smooth. Use a rubber/wooden sanding block with the paper the next time and you'll be closer still. Fair play though.
    G Luxel wrote: »
    while on the same subject, if u took the bumper off to get it repaired, can you drive around bumperless???

In Ireland, kinda. In the UK no. If your bumper doesn't have any lighting in it (Lights, or reflectors), you won't be stopped by the Gards, - I have to stress in my experience only, not sure of the specific laws on it - but it is slightly more dangerous to drive around with the exposed metal structure underneath than with the bumper enclosing it all and providing a buffer between the car behind you potentially rear ending you and those hard metal edges.

Thanks for the compliment paintdoctor. I see what you're saying from the photo, but in the flesh it actually looks better. I think the light/shadow gives the impression of flat spots that don't actually exist. I used flat wooden blocks and semi rigid foam when sanding and took my time. Light primer to highlight high and low spots etc. I suppose it's one of those things that you improve with the more you do it and of course, don't rush it. I am also doing a refurb on my wheels and will post some pics soon.

Advertisement