Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slovak proposal binds MPs salaries to deficit

Options
  • 19-11-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1118/slovakia.html

On RTE.ie today, we could learn from this, if they spend too much their salaries go down, with our shower the budget deficit would be wioed in months.

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why not simply take money off them if they run a deficit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I love this bit:
    'It's a symbolic gesture to show that lawmakers - who earn about €3,500 per month - will join the rest of the public sector in belt-tightening measures,' added Dostal.

That means Slovak Lawmakers earn about 42,000 a year.

Compared to the 5 million billion a minute we pay our politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Thats what they are doing, if the deficit goes up, their salaries go down

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Mind the door on your way out OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

uch wrote: »
    Thats what they are doing, if the deficit goes up, their salaries go down

i meant as in they give money to the state if they run a deficit and the state gives them money if they run a surplus not that the state gives them slightly less money, but anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

syklops wrote: »
    I love this bit:

That means Slovak Lawmakers earn about 42,000 a year.

Compared to the 5 million billion a minute we pay our politicians.
    In fairness, in the context of average pay and the cost of living in Slovakia, that's still pretty good pay.

Just checked a couple of sites there, they estimate average salary in Dublin as two and a half times that in Bratislava.

So that would suggest a Slovak MP would expect to earn about €105,000 as an Irish TD.

The basic Dail salary is €92,672, though taking into account long-service increments, minister's top-ups etc., the average is about €110,000.

Expenses packages etc. are not included in either case.

Seems to me that the Slovak politicians are no better, relatively speaking, than our lot when it comes to rewarding themselves handsomely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

The treasonous filth that infest the corridors of power here would never take money from themselves.

Advertisement