Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAD rumour - studer A800

Options
  • 19-11-2010 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭

studer A800 on the way very soon for UAD2 :cool::cool::cool::cool: - first tape plug to offer compression, saturation and colouring.

if anyone can get a tape sim plug right, its UAD i reckon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

Any current tape sim plugins that you'd recommend?

Wouldn't mind playing around with one to see if I like the character it may add.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

Did a search for a comparison of their Re-201 plug, the Boss RE-20 and the orginal Roland,

and found this absolute gem of a thread!

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/194491-real-roland-re-201-space-echo-vs-boss-cosm-uad-1-a.html

Fancy the chances of that eh?

haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

I think the OP means Studer A80, unless the UAD multiplies it by 10.

I wonder how much the plugin will cost. There are a lot of cheap reel to reel machines out there. Some Revox models (an offshoot of Studer) can be had for about 200 quid or so, probably the price it'd take you to get the UAD hardware stuff and the plugin.

I'm sure the plugin will be excellent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

splitrmx wrote: »
    I think the OP means Studer A80, unless the UAD multiplies it by 10.

nope. i mean the studer A800

whether or not UAD go with that model ive no idea... but its the word on the street.

885_1192012372_studer_a800_front.jpg

waveform wrote: »
    Any current tape sim plugins that you'd recommend?

Wouldn't mind playing around with one to see if I like the character it may add.

i use the nebula r2r library but it doesnt do the compression. for that i'd use varosound ferric which is free and has a nice subtle compression/saturation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

nope. i mean the studer A800
    I stand corrected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

studer A800 on the way very soon for UAD2 :cool::cool::cool::cool: - first tape plug to offer compression, saturation and colouring.

Who want's a plug-in that you have to come in an hour early in the morning to line-up, is heavy as a car and costs an arm and a leg to service and maintain? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Must one align it every morning and evening ?

studiorat wrote: »
    Who want's a plug-in that you have to come in an hour early in the morning to line-up, is heavy as a car and costs an arm and a leg to service and maintain? :confused:

its the "analog" experience though isnt it? ;)

its the "analog" experience though isnt it? ;)

Come to my studio, I'll charge you the extra €300 you'd have spent on the reel of tape, how's that for an Analogue experience?

• Advertisement

Come to my studio, I'll charge you the extra €300 you'd have spent on the reel of tape, how's that for an Analogue experience?

OR... buy the plugin and let UAD do it for me :)

OR... buy the plugin and let UAD do it for me :)

how will you know the UAD plug is doing what it says it does? Will it be any different to he fatso or any of the other 'tape' emulators?

Surely this isn't he first time someone has emulated an a-800? I would have thought that would have been among the first...

I guess this is on the back of UAD's deal with Harman who own studer, lexicon, akg dbx and others.

how will you know the UAD plug is doing what it says it does?

i wont. ive worked with tape a little thru the years but nowhere near enough to be able to tell if its an exact emulation or not.

i'll treat it the same as any other plugin i guess. demo it and if it sounds good enough to my ears then i'll use it. i really amn't bothered with all that blind test BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Is a reel of tape 300 quid now ?

Advertisement