Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first book - how to go about researching the subject?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I am 19 years old and planning to write a book about what life is like having Asperger's Syndrome.

This book will be partly biographical. I will only describe my life in the introductory pages and use examples from my own life to back up all the points I make.

I am slightly uncertain about how to do it of course since this is my first book. I always notice a list of sources at the end of a book whenever I have read one, which I assume is research done by the author. I want to read a lot before I write my book however and if so how do I use these sources in the book. I know it would look odd if I referred back to my research material in the middle of a paragraph, so it is all very confusing for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Start by knowing what you are planning to write about. Your own experience will be valuable, but interview lots of Aspies to get the different points of view. Also interview people involved with AS, family members, organisations, doctors, special needs assistants, etc.

Do you have a goal for your book? Are you trying to postulate a better system, or to make people more aware of AS or something different? Keep your goal in mind as you write.

Write your book, then work on your references. They can be done at the end. This is a fairly technical thing, where you may need to get extra help. For now, concentrate on doing your research and writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Thanks I will try interview a few different people.

Now the only thing that worries me is how I should go about contacting a professional author who could give me advice.

Do you mean for the writing or the referencing?

If it's the writing, I'd suggest that post here, but also read the health sections of the newpapers to see how the major features are put together. You'll often find that a feature in the health section would slot right in as a chapter in a book. If there is a specific author you want to approach, try dropping them an e-mail. Most authors are happy to help someone with a specific question. But no-one is going to write your book for you.

Just write your book. As you go, you'll gain experience and learn what works and what doesn't. You'll probably have to do a fair bit of rewriting when you are finished, but this is true for everyone, so don't worry if the first version doesn't shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lemonlemon

The thing is not to let the references part seem like a big deal when you're planning. Since it's not a formal academic book you could probably put quite a simple structure to the references when you're finished.

You just need to keep a good list somewhere of any sources you do use for information. (name of source, publisher, page number the information's on, year published if you know it (or the address of a site and when you got the information off it)
    When you're finally writing about things in the middle of your chapter, a statistic maybe, mark that fact it as 1,2,3 etc. for each chapter or part of the book and have your references part where it matches up (and where you keep those details you took down) so you don't have to put the details in the middle of your writing.Microsoft Word "insert reference" will let you do that.
    There are lots of people who could help with that bit.(if you don't want a particular kind of expert) Most college lecturers or postgraduate students that do history or english or sociology etc. have done quite a bit of similar structuring for publication and might work with you for an hour here and there for some sort of small fee so you could try advertising for someone.

keep a list of what came from where anyway to avoid a mad scramble at the end to remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Thanks again for all the replies.

I am currently looking for an author to contact to see if they can give me any advice.

For now I am just going to finish the plan and write with ease as soon as I have it done.

Don't worry I have no intentions of anyone writing my book for me, that wouldn't be any fun at all.

Keep them up, if anyone else has anything that hasn't been said yet I will be happy to hear.

• Advertisement

It depends on the author you want, but I'm a journalist, for instance, so I do know a lot about writing. I'm pretty sure there are other authors on here as well. Eoin Purcell pops into the "How to get Published" thread, and he's a mine of excellent information.

I have found that most people are very helpful about replying to an e-mail with specific questions, and most authors do have available e-mail addresses.

Advertisement