Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SE Xperia X10 v's iPhone 3GS

Options
  • 19-11-2010 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

A bit of advice required.

Was dead set on getting an android and was going to take a chance on the Xperia X10 since it got upgraded to 2.1.

Have since been offered an iPhone 3GS as an upgrade on my current contract so im now torn between the two.

Anyone have any experience with the X10 since its upgrade?? Is it worth getting or am i better off with the iPhone. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ari Gold wrote: »
    A bit of advice required.

Was dead set on getting an android and was going to take a chance on the Xperia X10 since it got upgraded to 2.1.

Have since been offered an iPhone 3GS as an upgrade on my current contract so im now torn between the two.

Anyone have any experience with the X10 since its upgrade?? Is it worth getting or am i better off with the iPhone. Cheers!

I have an x10 and it's pretty much good all around for what i want in a phone.

What do you want in a phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ari Gold

Probably the most important features would be a decent internet browser, battery. A nice camera would also be good but not important.

Im pretty familiar with the iphones so just wanted to get an opinion from an x10 user.

I heard some reported issues with lag on the x10, has this been a problem since the upgrade? I've a feeling that is something that could annoy me if true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Have an x10 myself and is was getting on my tits a bit until the 2.1 update came out. Really enjoying it again now. Live wallpapers, much speedier and there is talk of the possibibly of putting on pure android install which would make it faster again.

One that does bug me is the Mediascape, the system that manages your music, videos and pictures, is sluggish. As you are scanning through the albums it stutters a bit. I could probably root which supposedly improves performance. But I dont really want to do that yet.

Another thing is that the X10, at present, does not support multitouch. Something that doesnt really bother me. There is talk of development on this - I posted an engaget link in the official x10 thread.

If I'm honest, had I been in your position I probably would gone with the 3gs. It has a lot going for it when it comes the accessories such as docks etc. And the music management, iTunes aside, performs much better.

Like marcbrophy said, depends what you want from the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

As an X10 user myself, I quite like the phone since the recent update, and with root access, I have been able to remove all the crap from the phone. It is quick, the battery life is better and the video capture is now able to handle 720p HD.

You only mention the Xperia X10 in your OP. Is there a reason you are not looking into the Samsung Galaxy S or HTC Desire HD? Both are considered the best Android phones ATM.

Thanks for the input lads.

Obviously i'm aware of the Galaxy S and the Desire and they do seem like great phones but im avoiding them for a few reasons.

1. Anyone going for an android seems to go for the desire so im trying to be a little different! Plus it will cost me a good bit more than the X10.

2. I've had a play around with the Galaxy and just wasn't really that impressed. Not really a fan of Samsung phones either.

3. Work for said company so it looks good to have an ericsson phone although id have no problem avoiding it if the phone wasnt up to scratch.

How hard/easy was it to root the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Very easy, a lot easier than I thought it would be.

There are 'idiot-proof' guides on the xda-developers site and obviously the guys in the X10 Owners thread here are very helpful.

Just make sure you back up all your data first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Thats great, ill have a read through the review. Would really like to try the X10 but still a bit worried that id regret it, especially with the 3GS on offer and i haven't heard too many complaints about it.

Appreciate the help lads, if ye come up with any other advice let me know, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭snowy666

In a very similar situation myself will be buying my phone later today and I'll be picking up the X10.

I've been following the XDA boys closely and it's only a matter of weeks (if not days) before they produce a working Froyo 2.2 Rom for the X10. The 2.1 update is already a big step forward and obv rooting/adding Froyo is another advancement.

When that happens, I honestly believe it will be the best Android package phone currrently available because it will have;

4" (gorgeous) screen which I think is the perfect size
    Excellent camera, now with HD video recording
    Easily the best form factor - let's be honest, looks matter
    Rarity value
    The best software on the market
    Biggest and best lasting battery available

I'm kind of gambling, but as the phone isn't costing anything on an upgrade and is already a quality piece of kit, it's hardly an issue.

Desire is a lovely phone, but everyone has them and the cam and better screen in the X10 swing it for me.

Desire HD has had a lot of issues (meteor contact tells me loads have gone back and he'e even giving his own one back to wait for the Nexus 2), is just too big and anyway, good luck getting hold of one before the New Year!

I'd be very interested in the Win 7 phones, but I need one this week and Meteor don't have either those, or the Nexus 2, which sounds like it's gonna be another beauty. Thing is, have to buy a phone at some stage or you'll always be waiting for the next big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Thanks for the input lads.

Obviously i'm aware of the Galaxy S and the Desire and they do seem like great phones but im avoiding them for a few reasons.

1. Anyone going for an android seems to go for the desire so im trying to be a little different! Plus it will cost me a good bit more than the X10.

2. I've had a play around with the Galaxy and just wasn't really that impressed. Not really a fan of Samsung phones either.

3. Work for said company so it looks good to have an ericsson phone although id have no problem avoiding it if the phone wasnt up to scratch.

How hard/easy was it to root the phone?

Why are you trying to be different? LOL

There's a good reason why a lot of people chose the Desire over Galaxy and X10.

• Advertisement

snowy666 wrote: »
    In a very similar situation myself will be buying my phone later today and I'll be picking up the X10.

I've been following the XDA boys closely and it's only a matter of weeks (if not days) before they produce a working Froyo 2.2 Rom for the X10. The 2.1 update is already a big step forward and obv rooting/adding Froyo is another advancement.

When that happens, I honestly believe it will be the best Android package phone currrently available because it will have;

4" (gorgeous) screen which I think is the perfect size
    Excellent camera, now with HD video recording
    Easily the best form factor - let's be honest, looks matter
    Rarity value
    The best software on the market
    Biggest and best lasting battery available

I'm kind of gambling, but as the phone isn't costing anything on an upgrade and is already a quality piece of kit, it's hardly an issue.

Desire is a lovely phone, but everyone has them and the cam and better screen in the X10 swing it for me.

Desire HD has had a lot of issues (meteor contact tells me loads have gone back and he'e even giving his own one back to wait for the Nexus 2), is just too big and anyway, good luck getting hold of one before the New Year!

I'd be very interested in the Win 7 phones, but I need one this week and Meteor don't have either those, or the Nexus 2, which sounds like it's gonna be another beauty. Thing is, have to buy a phone at some stage or you'll always be waiting for the next big thing.

You've pretty much summed up my own thoughts snowy666! Hopefully the gamble pays off, as you said its a free upgrade so its probably worth a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Hey don't ditch 4.2" screen phones :) I could hardly come back back to a smaller screen. Is spend a lot of time on the internet and playing games while traveling. And its something small screens won't have advantage over :)

Well, typing this from my new - updated - X10! Have to say, the word that springs out is 'slick'.

So far I'm seriously impressed, everything set up and synced so well and its a beauty of a device. Gonna spend the rest of the night setting it up to suit and will prob not even root the phone straight away cos the stock firmware is bang on so far...

Happy chap.

Well, typing this from my new - updated - X10! Have to say, the word that springs out is 'slick'.

So far I'm seriously impressed, everything set up and synced so well and its a beauty of a device. Gonna spend the rest of the night setting it up to suit and will prob not even root the phone straight away cos the stock firmware is bang on so far...

Happy chap.

Good stuff! Did you update it yourself or did it come with 2.1? Hopefully ill get my hands on one next week.

Good stuff! Did you update it yourself or did it come with 2.1? Hopefully ill get my hands on one next week.

Actually the phone came with 1.6 but it could not have been easier to change to 2.1. I literally plugged it into the lappy and the onscreen software told me there was an available update, gave me instructions and job done.

It's looking and working nicely now (after hours spent playing and sorting it out to behave just how I wanted :) ) and if the XDA boys get a Beta 2.2version out as quickly as it's looking they might, it may be a short stay on Eclair.

Very happy with my choice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

if the XDA boys get a Beta 2.2version out as quickly as it's looking they might, it may be a short stay on Eclair.

Very happy with my choice.

It looks like XDA`s 2.2 is going to be dual boot for 2.1 and 2.2.
    Happy days if it is.

Apparently the phone is even slicker with 2.2 installed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

can't wait to update my one when I get home later - praying the battery will last longer after this! other then that I love the X10 - really sleak design. I bought it for the camera and that hasn't failed me.

yeah good news for the phone after a year after its launch lol. unfortunate :S

still the 2.2 isnt fully working yet

It was launched in April 2010 and the 2.1 rollout began November 2010. That is not a year ;)

2.2 is just barely an alpha release, but a beta is expected during this week. With the amount of people waiting for this beta it shouldn't take long to get the feedback and get a stable version out. I will install it from the beta myself!! :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I will install it from the beta myself!! :pac:

Likewise!!!Cant wait to try out the beta.Especially if it is dual boot like they say.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Likewise!!!Cant wait to try out the beta.Especially if it is dual boot like they say.

It looks like the beta will be a standalone install and not dual boot! :mad:
    I would have preferred dual boot, but a standalone might be more stable!

From XDA
    The BETA version will be flashable into your X10's flash memory and ready to be used as main (and only) system. For now, I feel like dual booting is the way to go (and hope you like the idea).

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It looks like the beta will be a standalone install and not dual boot! :mad:
    I would have preferred dual boot, but a standalone might be more stable!

It still says dual boot on the second page of that thread assuming its the same thread Im following so Im hoping that they will release it as dual boot only instead of main install.

I wouldnt bother trying a BETA rom that wasnt 100% as a one and only OS but a dual boot one I`ll definately give a go.Tried that custom 2.1 but wasnt mad about it with the bugs in it.
    Description:
    Xperia X10 Froyo 2.2.1 rom is a fresh and clean build of latest AOSP, without any custom modifications. The first release (alpha build) is not fully suitable as main operating system, but still pretty ok for most of the tasks. The alpha build is compiled with engineering and debug flags, so please don't expect it to be fast or stable. It definitely will lag and crash every now and then. The main reason of releasing it is to gather as much end-user feedback as we can. Most of the issues are already addressed and being worked on (as described below), so I'm expecting BETA version to come in several days.

The BETA version will be flashable into your X10's flash memory and ready to be used as main (and only) system. For now, I feel like dual booting is the way to go (and hope you like the idea).

New features:

DUAL BOOT

Press any key during the boot process (right after "Sony Ericsson" text logo) to boot into 2.1 ROM. Otherwise it will boot into 2.2 Custom Rom.
    There is a plan to prepare boot menu, this would allow us to multiboot (number of ROMs only limited by SD Card capacity)

Known problems:
    - no Audio playback (voice calls work)
    - no native Video playback (RockPlayer works)
    - camera - not implemented yet
    - random reboots (identified - WIP)
    - random lags (identified - WIP)
    - slight radio issue - voice calls - sometimes (1 out of 25-30 for me) both you and the other person sound like a chipmunk (identified - WIP)

Requirements:

- 1GB of free space on SD Card
    - phone needs to be rooted with busybox installed

Yeah, I think if I'd been an X10 owner for a long time, I'd be pissed but as I've only just picked one up (had C905 before which I loved too actually - they just make such sexy gear!), it's all groovy.

As for the custom update to 2.2;

- flash will be nice although don't miss it that much tbh (skyfire browser allows the vid playing anyway)
    - the rest is just more speed. I'll confess that yesterday I was getting serious lag on the phone and was getting worried... until I realized there was actually a pre-attached screen saver on the bloody thing which I hadn't noticed for two days. Doh! Took that off and it's absolutely perfect now lol

After installing everything I wanted, setting it up to work quickly and getting everything just so (bit of ocd in there), I can hand on heart say, it's the best device I've used. In fairness to SE, they've made the best 'hardwared' phone currently available and the 2.1 software has made it perform perfectly... so far :)

well i was planning to get it. Loved the looks and the mediascape looked cool. But the fact it was behind all other androids at the time pushed me to get HD2 :)

Kinda mad after all this time :) i got 2.2 Android on hd2 and xperia still doesnt have it haha

Advertisement