Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Focusrite Saffire with Cubase SX

Options
  • 18-11-2010 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello there lads ! Im trying to get Focusrite Saffire 400 firewire audio interface operating with my Cubase. I have tried setting up inputs , outputs, device set up etc. but its not recording anything. Im very restricted in my knowledge on this stuff and am looking for some help ? I have gone on the focusrite support base but still cant sort it out.

I live in Kildare and am prepared to give maybe speaker stands, or mic stand or maybe mic as payment for anybody that I could meet up with to get it up and running.Am prepared to travel

I do have it registered so thats not the issue. I reckon its just routine technical problem that i would not be familiar with !:mad::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

have you set it up as a device in cubase?

have you set up your i/o in cubase?

this is all in the cubase manual. dead simple to do. wouldnt imagine you needing much help at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cadanam

As i say i dont know much bout this kinda stuff.Totally doin my head in, ive tried goin thru the instructions from cubase help menu. Im obviously doin something wrong, but dont know what.Have set input/outputs and buses correctly i think.Have set it up Device but not recording anything. Ya its simple if you know how !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

Which exact interface is it?
    Pro 40?

Just to recap:

Device has been setup - You are using the Saffire ASIO driver.
    Find this in Devices - Device setup

You have your VST connections setup
    Find this in Devices - VST Connections

You create an audio track (not MIDI, just in case)

Go to the inspector for that channel. Left side of the screen.

The input and out put is setup there correctly.

Record arm is set (in Cubase I know that this problematic. One click elsewhere can deselect it. It should be located under the track name.)

Its older model standard 400. Device set up is saffire asio
    vst input shows rec 3 rec 4 (take it thats right and 1 & 2 is the default ?)
    outputs shows bus 2 and play 3,5,7, or 9 I selected IN 3.

Inspector IN : IN 3
    OUT; BUS 2

iIT DID RECORD OK SIGNAL THERE ON INTERFACE AND CUBASE TRACK. WHEN I TRY TO PLAY IT BACK THERES NOTHING. IVE NOTICED THE SOUND & AUDIO DEVICE PROPERTIES ON LAPTOP ARE STILL ON DEFAULT REALTEK. SAFFIRE IS NOT THERE WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT SHOULD BE. MAYBE THATS THE PROBLEM NOW NO AUDIO. ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

if the saffire isnt there then you need to re-install the drivers. it wont work with realtek drivers.

cadanam wrote: »
    Its older model standard 400. Device set up is saffire asio
    vst input shows rec 3 rec 4 (take it thats right and 1 & 2 is the default ?)
    outputs shows bus 2 and play 3,5,7, or 9 I selected IN 3.

Inspector IN : IN 3
    OUT; BUS 2

iIT DID RECORD OK SIGNAL THERE ON INTERFACE AND CUBASE TRACK. WHEN I TRY TO PLAY IT BACK THERES NOTHING. IVE NOTICED THE SOUND & AUDIO DEVICE PROPERTIES ON LAPTOP ARE STILL ON DEFAULT REALTEK. SAFFIRE IS NOT THERE WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT SHOULD BE. MAYBE THATS THE PROBLEM NOW NO AUDIO. ??

I dont know the interface personally, in fact I have never heard of it but if you have managed to record audio on a track in Cubase but can not hear it back then your output could be wrong.

For example:

If I wanted to listen on headphones I would have to output on outputs 7 and 8 on Cubase. If I wanted to listen to my monitors I would output on 1 and 2. If I wanted to output on my second set of headphone it would be 9 and 10.
    If your Saffire comes with multiple outputs make sure the outputs on Cubase you have selected are the outputs you want on the interface.
    You may be outputting on a digital output or something like that.

I dont know what the routing software you may have is like but with my Saffire there is another thing to look at.
    I can take the Cubase output (DAW1 and 2, up to 20) and route it to any output on the Saffire.
    So, check around that and make sure that your outputs on Cubase are being sent to the correct outputs on the Saffire.

If your interface does have routing software chances are it has been saved somehow and is doing some funky routing.
    If your interface does not have routing software chances are the output in Cubase is corresponding to an output on the interface but just not the one you need.

I would also delete all output busses on Cubase and recreate them from scratch for the sake of clarity in this trouble shoot.

The sound device in Windows saying its Realtek should not matter. Though, try setting it to the Saffire and once that is done see if your media player or youtube will play out of it. DamagedTrax may have misunderstood that. I think the OP was saying the default Windows sound device is something other than the Saffire but Cubases is the Saffire.
    EDIT: I think managed to misunderstand that also. If the Saffire isnt even on the Windows audio list then it may not be plugged in.
    Although that its not plugged in the Saffire ASIO driver is still selectable on Cubase. Many weird things can happen in that case.

Really appreciate you advice but its a bit over my head at this stage. Will lay out whats coming up in Cubase

VST Inputs Label 1,2,3,4 . Port 1,2,3,4 Im selecting 3 & 4.I think thats right as 1,2 would be the default ?

VST Outputs. 2 channels.On top 1st shows Bus 1 2nd Bus 2. Bottom of Bus 1: shows Play 1,3,5,7,9 and a L & R Bus 2: Shows no L, R Play 1,3,5,7,9, I activated the bus 2 on top but dont know which of the Play options to choose in the bottom of Bus 1 and 2.

On the ACTIVATE screenI have 3,4 IN. Bus 1,2. I selected IN 3 and Bus 2.

In the Track Mixer : Audio 1. Have option of Bus 1,2,5.

I kind of understand a tiny bit bout the different lines etc but to just get it working for now im using headphones to test.Will set up monitors later There are two inputs for phones on saffire interface. I tried both and no sound. I ve put headphones direct into laptop and thought that should with the on board sounds.Still nothing.

Its probably something thats much easier to sort out sitting down for a short while that over the net. Dont want to be wrecking your head, just very difficult to get help with this stuff.

Ok.

For inputs it makes more sense to have 1 and 2 selected. 1 and 2 are default because they correspond to the first two inputs on the interface. The bottom of the pic.
    SaffireLE.jpg
    No idea if this is your one though, just using an example.

In Cubase what I would recommend is go into Devices from the bar at the top then to VST Multitrack.
    In the Setup tab select something other then the Saffire ASIO, click apply, then reselect the Saffire ASIO and click Apply and OK

Then go to Devices from the bar at the top of the window and click VST Connections (or press F4).

On the input tab select the name of a bus and delete it. Then click Add Bus and under the ASIO Device Port column select the saffire 1 and 2 or something similar.

Do the same for the output tab and select the first two outputs there.

You seem to be setting up the audio tracks correctly.

The reason I am saying to delete the buses is just to make sure you are starting from scratch.

On a side note, when the saffire is plugged in can you select it as an audio device in Start -> Control Panel -> Sound?

EDIT:
    Where are you based?

If you really can't figure it out then maybe someone local to you could help. Local studio etc. Even a music tech shop if there are nice people workin there.

Advertisement