Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences between clinical psychology pay scales in Ireland and the UK

Options
  • 18-11-2010 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello all,
    I want to train in clinical psychology and would love to go to the UK to live and work. I looked up the pay scales for clinical psychologists in training and at basic grade level and see that clinical psychologists in ireland earn quite a bit more. Could anybody explain why this is the case, os have I just been looking up the wrong figures?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

Hi wages in general appear to be lower in the uk even when you account for the difference in sterling. The average wage of a qualified clinical psychologist in the uk is around £35 PA which is around what a care worker earns in Ireland. The cost of living is lower in the uk except in London. Ireland appears to be bankrupt at the moment so maybe the uk is a good option despite the wage difference. As far as I know getting on a clinical psych course is every bit as difficult as here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Amusicum

Going to do a graduate diploma in psychology with view to training in clinical psychology, but that'll be a few years down the line! I would much rather go to the UK, but psychologists in Ireland do seem to earn an exorbitant amount! As you said though, the cost of living is cheaper in the UK.
    I know it is extremely difficult to get on a clinical psychology course but I am trying to do as much voluntary work as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Really difficult to work out the difference - cost of living, tax rates, health benefits, quality of living, etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I moved over in summer and would estimate that a €50-60k salary is around a £30-35k salary here if your in public sector employment. It's a combination of much lower income taxes and much much lower general cost of living (e.g., car tax, groceries).

Council tax varies a lot depending on location though so a lot depends on where exactly you are considering moving to.

Advertisement