Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Binoculars-Xmas Present

Options
  • 18-11-2010 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Im looking to find a good pair of binoculars for my boyfriend for christmas.
    One that are good for horse racing.
    Not a clue where to start or look.
    Can anyone give me an idea on what id expect to pay and where I should go/look??

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Here
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/25/xx/xx/3/1/criteresn.html

I have 7 x 50 Pentax binoculars that I bought in 1976.
    Originally I bought them for horseracing at The Curragh, but later used them in game parks in Africa (lived there for two years), and now use them to look at the birds feeding at my bird feeders in the garden. They are heavy enough.

Binoculars are not that useful for horseracing as -
    (1) you cant see much when the horses are a half mile away
    (2) you get too close a view when the horses are near the finish
    (3) often they show the racing on giant screens at big race meetings so you don't need them.

You can also use binoculars to get good views of horses parading, going down to the start, and to view bookmakers prices from a distance.

Explanation 7 x 50 ..... 7 times magnification; 50mm front lens diameter.

The greater the magnification and bigger the front lens diameter the greater the weight (usually). It is not easy to hold heavy binoculars for minutes so I suggest light binoculars. Another thing I would look for is lens covers for both ends that are attached so you can flip them open, and when finished viewing you can snap them shut to protect the lenses.

On that site I would go for in order -
    Nikon Action VII 7x50 CF .... €118.51 (Nikon are a top quality make)
    Olympus 8X40 DPSI N1240382 ..... €81.47
    Olympus 8-16X40 DPSI N1240582 .... €99.57 (these can zoom from 8 up to 16 times magnification)

Shipping costs are extra.

Also http://www.cameracentre.ie/

They have four shops in Dublin

56 Grafton Street
    Stephens Green End
    Tel: (01) 6775594
    Fax: (01) 6777977
    Fax: (01) 4521099
    Fax: (01) 8221995
    Fax: (01) 8735078

http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-buy-binoculars.html

Very useful guide. Take notes.

See APPLICATIONS heading near the end.
    They recommend 8x40 or 8x42 for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

kincsem wrote: »
    Here
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/25/xx/xx/3/1/criteresn.html

I have 7 x 50 Pentax binoculars that I bought in 1976.
    Originally I bought them for horseracing at The Curragh, but later used them in game parks in Africa (lived there for two years), and now use them to look at the birds feeding at my bird feeders in the garden. They are heavy enough.

Binoculars are not that useful for horseracing as -
    (1) you cant see much when the horses are a half mile away
    (2) you get too close a view when the horses are near the finish
    (3) often they show the racing on giant screens at big race meetings so you don't need them.

You can also use binoculars to get good views of horses parading, going down to the start, and to view bookmakers prices from a distance.

Explanation 7 x 50 ..... 7 times magnification; 50mm front lens diameter.

The greater the magnification and bigger the front lens diameter the greater the weight (usually). It is not easy to hold heavy binoculars for minutes so I suggest light binoculars. Another thing I would look for is lens covers for both ends that are attached so you can flip them open, and when finished viewing you can snap them shut to protect the lenses.

On that site I would go for in order -
    Nikon Action VII 7x50 CF .... €118.51 (Nikon are a top quality make)
    Olympus 8X40 DPSI N1240382 ..... €81.47
    Olympus 8-16X40 DPSI N1240582 .... €99.57 (these can zoom from 8 up to 16 times magnification)

Shipping costs are extra.

This...but nice idea. Maybe get him some racing books?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

kincsem wrote: »

This is usually only done at 'big' meetings, so if your OH is a regular race goer they'd be quite handy to have on 'normal' racing days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ah Convert even Sligo has the big screen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

greetings wrote: »
    Ah Convert even Sligo has the big screen.

For every race meeting?! :eek:

From what I can remember yes. I thought all of them would have it if Sligo had it,maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

The racing authorities have a truck thats drives to the meetings and out of the top of the truck comes the screen. Theres rarely two meetings on the same day so I don't know if they have two trucks.

Nulty wrote: »
    The racing authorities have a truck thats drives to the meetings and out of the top of the truck comes the screen. Theres rarely two meetings on the same day so I don't know if they have two trucks.

That'd be the bad boy I believe.

• Advertisement

Well I know at the October meeting at Galway they only had a big screen behind the parade ring not in front of the stands so I really needed my binoculars, but didn't have them.

They are nice to have at the races but I find them a bit of a nuisance at times especially as they are quite heavy (and if you are going straight into town etc after a meeting and have no where to leave them). I have two pairs a small pair which I tend to use more but they are not as good, but not bad either and a big pair which are good that I bought years ago in Austria. As mentioned above I find them very good for checking prices etc especially on busy days where its hard to get around.

I also like to watch the races rather than look at the big screen, though I have been lazy recently about bringing them with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Binoculars are handy if you have a horse running yourself, you can keep watching him throughout the race. But with the HRI big screen that goes around the country now the binoculars are only an inconvienence that will inevitably end up being left under a bar table at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

robbie1977 wrote: »

looks a bit weighty to have strapped around your neck between races.:p

Advertisement