Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preposition le + urú?

Options
  • 18-11-2010 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I've been introduced to the preposition "le" now. In the rules for "le" it says that it does not cause any mutations except that it adds an "h" to a word starting with a vowel.

And now I find the expression "le n-ithe agus le n-ól" in the text section of my primer. Why?

Can anyone please help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

stephanus wrote: »
    I've been introduced to the preposition "le" now. In the rules for "le" it says that it does not cause any mutations except that it adds an "h" to a word starting with a vowel.

And now I find the expression "le n-ithe agus le n-ól" in the text section of my primer. Why?

Can anyone please help me out?

Le + h before a vowel is the rule in the official standard, ie Chuaigh mé go dtí an siopa le hAoife. Ar mhaith leat rud éigin le hithe?

Le + urú before a verbal noun which starts with a vowel is a dialectical rule that applies to all dialects, ie Ar mhaith leat rud éigin le n-ithe nó le n-ól?

The standard way of saying the same sentence isAr mhaith leat rud éigin le hithe nó le hól.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

Great! Got that, I think.

I didn't expect a standard-dialect difference here.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Le + h before a vowel is the rule in the official standard, ie Chuaigh mé go dtí an siopa le hAoife. Ar mhaith leat rud éigin le hithe?

Le + urú before a verbal noun which starts with a vowel is a dialectical rule that applies to all dialects, ie Ar mhaith leat rud éigin le n-ithe nó le n-ól?

The standard way of saying the same sentence isAr mhaith leat rud éigin le hithe nó le hól.

Just one point on that Miclin, unusually maybe, but the standard and the Donegal dialect are at one here... le hithe agus le hól !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Although le doesn't mutate, when it is used with the article an, it becomes leis an, and this does require the use of an urú on the following consonant.
    e.g. tae le bainne;
    but leis an mbainne

Advertisement