Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reamping.

Options
  • 18-11-2010 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the long post Chaps - Just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from.

So I've come to the conclusion that stuff sounds less sterile with a bit of grit added to it.

I've been doing lots of little things like, putting stuff through amp sims, bitcrushers and distortion plugs. I'm finally happy with the sound coming out of the computer. Its got a bit of character to it.

Have a bit of time off over Xmas - So looking for a bit of advice on how to reamp & stuff. Just want to experiment & see what happens.

Would like to do 2 things:

1. Record an out from Soundcard through an Amp with a Mic.
    2. Send an out from Soundcard through some Pedals / FX unit, back into the 'puter.

I'll be looking to send out "Dance Music" - basslines, loops, soft synths, noises, one shots etc..

I tried hooking a line out through some pedals & it sounded cool - but unusable. Obviously cos of the signal being too hot from soundcard. I tried turning the volume down on the channel on the computer, but it was still a bit too wild.

Searching around has revealed such as thing as Reamp boxes. Is it what everyone uses? Are they essential? Hands up.. I'm an utter novice in this area. and the cost of those boxes has made me consider what the best way to go is.

Have Logic & a Focusrite Saffire LE.

Got a a couple of Amps.. a 30w S.S Marshall & in a few weeks, hopefully a Musicman Tube amp (w.reverb) from the 70s-ish. I've also got a few pedals. A EHX Big Muff & some really old DOD & Rocktek stuff. Finally, I have a big box of mic's - all condenser type ones. Some of them have probably seen better days - but I guess I can give out if they add grit! If I needed some Shures, I can get them.

I was contemplating buying some kind of tube preamp. One of these:

EHX - 2ube - http://www.ehx.com/products/lpb-2ube

But if the levels in/out are gonna be fkd up - what would be a similar solution. Suppose my objective is to add a bit of warmth & character to certain things. I was just thinking pedals cos of the cost factor, and this one has stereo in.. are they a good solution?

In terms of what I'm looking to spend - €250 is probably my max.

A few different Q's there..but all relating to the same thing really.

If anyone could give any tips / pointers, based on their successes (or errors :rolleyes:), I'd be very appreciative.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Well, having a dedicated re-amping box would be very handy, as would having a DI box. This little thing combines the two and I've only heard good things about it so far - DAV D.I. & Re-Amper. Seems a good price for a worthwhile product. It'll mean you'll only need one box if you're running things through pedals.

As for a tube pre, it depends really. Personally I'm looking at one of these in the near future, mainly for how bad I'm sure it will sound. Should add plenty of horrible, under-powered, bottom-of-the-barrel-tube 'warmth'. Good for messing things up basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Hey Man, Yeah - That DAV one.. was recommended before by someone else to me. Thats pretty handy alright. Not too bad for the money - 2 in 1.

Those ART MP's - Read that they are a "staved plate" design, and dont have the voltage needed to saturate. Was reading reviews of the Behringer Mic100 as well. Same thought process behind that. Dont get me wrong, never heard them, so cant comment on that.. but I've been doing a lot of surfing in the last few weeks & I'm absorbing other peoples opinions at this stage! LOL

That being said - I think I know someone who has one, so I'm going to see if I can get a loan of it. Thats why I was thinking about the EHX 2ube pedal. Its proper voltage from what I can gather.. and stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I've used the radial X-amp quite a bit for reamping,its great, but using for Dance music components etc I'm not sure, these reamps are great for treating DI ed guitars etc. Would a software Amp/ tube /Channel strip emulator not serve you better for dance music to get "grit"

reamping is great, but as I see it, only if you have great or a wide selection of gear to put it through.

Cool - I hear ya.

Its just an experiment really - just to see what the potential is. I really like the idea of adding some unique character.. but sure we'll see how it goes :pac:

I've got a plan for a reamp box & going to have a go at making something. My Dad is pretty good at electronic stuff, and he thinks he has most of the parts, so hopefully it would be a usable option.
    11811 wrote: »
    I've used the radial X-amp quite a bit for reamping,its great, but using for Dance music components etc I'm not sure, these reamps are great for treating DI ed guitars etc. Would a software Amp/ tube /Channel strip emulator not serve you better for dance music to get "grit"

reamping is great, but as I see it, only if you have great or a wide selection of gear to put it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Radial X Amp here.
    I would be lost without it.
    Often happens where you get to the final stages of a mix and can't get the guitar sound to sit as well as you would like.

• Advertisement

Radial X Amp here.
    I would be lost without it.
    Often happens where you get to the final stages of a mix and can't get the guitar sound to sit as well as you would like.

Hey TM,

Thanks for that.

Have you ever used it to stick soft synths through amps, or other fx, direct - back into the computer?

And you think there would be any pitfalls, re: sound, that you'd have to look out for?

If you wanted to send stuff out, maybe through a tube preamp for some character.. you'd need a reamp box in the chain? is that right?

Sorry for the Q's mate - but I just want to get the facts straight before I start buying stuff :rolleyes: :)

You only need a reamp box if you need to change the impedance of the signal to go into a guitar amp. If you want to run through mic pres you just need to lower the signal level to mic level either by decreasing level before the converter or using an inline xlr pad. A reamp box's output is a 1/4" mono jack to go into an amp.
    I often run the drum bus through my API pres to add edge and if I am doing any soft synth stuff I normally run it through my Phoenix audio DRS for transformer goodness and eq then into drawmer 1968 compressor to add fatness. This makes a huge difference and takes away the digital sound.
    I use a TC Electronic DAC that has a volume control before the analogue outs.
    http://studiosolutions.ie/3177-TC-Electronic-BMC-2-D-A-Converter-Mon-Controller.htm
    Really good converter at a great price.

Mate, You've gave me a real 101 here. Cant thank you enough :cool:

I'm getting a clearer picture now - and just to make sure I've got it right:

Reamp box to run stuff through an Amp.

Reamp box to run stuff through fx pedals (then back in).

XLR Pad for Pre's.

You got it:D

Excellent!

All clear now. Appreciate everyones help!

Thanks Guys :cool: :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement