Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steroids - Travelling to Australia

Options
  • 18-11-2010 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I require to take steroids twice every day, it is a strict dosage routine (10mg at 8.00am and 5mg at 4.00pm).
    I will be travelling to Perth, Western Australia in early December. Perth is 9 hours ahead of Ireland due to the various time zones. My question is ... how do handle the dosage when travelling by air and when I arrive in OZ so that I can cause the least disturbance to my dosage routine.
    any suggestions would be welcome. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you should talk to your doctor to be sure, especially as you describe the dosage regime as strict. FYI, and purely FYI, I'm not suggesting you do this, I have to take insulin at the same time every day as well. If I was travelling to Perth, it would mean I would be taking my insulin at 2am (7PM Irish time). So, in advance of travelling, I'd start moving the irish time back, maybe 30 minutes a day for 18 days, so that by the time I get to Perth, I'm taking it at 7pm local time, and then the same again when I go home.

Steroids are probably different tho, you should give your doc a ring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

^ What he said as far as it sounds like you need to speak to the doc about it if the regime is that strict.

It happens that I do the opposite of tbh though when travelling and will tend to stay on departure point time zone until I land, then switch my insulin dosages around. It actually helps in those instances when I'm going on 24hour flights to somewhere 12hours out of sync with the clocks, going half the distance to the US is actually trickier I have found.

You do need to speak with the doc though to see what effect any change to timing of your drugs will have.

Advertisement