Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Brew

Options
  • 17-11-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Heyhey,
    I need bottles to make my home brew. Im using the small 250ml bottles you get in lidl and aldi. Now i am drinking these and keeping the bottles but i guess im not drinking fast enough!!!
    Anyone got a load of these lying around that i could have, instead of bringing them to the bottle bank...they are definitely going to be recycled!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Just hit up a session house on a Sunday morning. Pry the bottles out of the dead bodies' hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Local pub?
    Pretend you want the bottles for some kind of arty thing you want to make so they don't throw you a filthy look for not spending your money in their pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Bottle bank. So many people are bothered enough to bring the recycling there (read: too cheap to pay for the bin to be collected) but not bothered enough to actually put the bottles in the bins (read: they litter).

Also, twist top bottles don't take caps too well, so you might want to rethink that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

tolosenc wrote: »
    Also, twist top bottles don't take caps too well, so you might want to rethink that one!

I was wonderin about the old screw tops taking the caps...thanks for that. could have been a wasted batch there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Recession, home brew and emigration.

We just need a CB thread for the 80s set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Local pub?
    Pretend you want the bottles for some kind of arty thing you want to make so they don't throw you a filthy look for not spending your money in their pub.

They will have been sitting in filthy skips for god knows how long...Bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    They will have been sitting in filthy skips for god knows how long...Bad idea.

Not if he goes in Friday & ask can you take away the ones collected from Fri/ Sat night.
    He's going to have to wash them properly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Just started the home brew vino for christmas today, roll on the 17th of next month.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

make sure you add childrens cough syrup to the brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

My gear will sort all aches and pains till the morning..:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Then light it on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Personally I'd go with 2litre plastic bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

You be wanting brown bottles for beer, and at those IKEA prices, you'd be better off just buying a case of large Grolsch bottles with the swing tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Personally I'd go with 2litre plastic bottles

i think its better out of the small bottles..tastes nicer?:confused:
    hauk wrote: »

FAR too expensive as taketheveil says id be better buyin 100 bottles of beer and getting a few of the lads over to drink them!party!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

rothai wrote: »
    FAR too expensive as taketheveil says id be better buyin 100 bottles of beer and getting a few of the lads over to drink them!party!

What comes before Part B? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Ledger wrote: »
    What comes before Part B? :D

dont do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Theres a home brewing forum where you will probably find all the info you need on this.

FatherLen wrote: »
    dont do it

oh but its coming. . . . . . . . .

Thats what she said

part B - the prequal

Why what were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

rothai wrote: »
    i guess im not drinking fast enough!!!

I think you took up the wrong hobby :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

I use the bulmers pint bottles, free from your local, you'd be all day bottling 250ml bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Bottle bank or pub, I'm sure the pubs wouldn't mind giving you the bottle as it would save them bringing them to the bottle bank.
    tolosenc wrote: »
    Bottle bank. So many people are bothered enough to bring the recycling there (read: too cheap to pay for the bin to be collected) but not bothered enough to actually put the bottles in the bins (read: they litter).
    You can't put glass bottles in your bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

ScumLord wrote: »
    Bottle bank or pub, I'm sure the pubs wouldn't mind giving you the bottle as it would save them bringing them to the bottle bank.
    working in a pub at the moment and all the bulmers and bottles like them are returned to where they got them from back in the crates. same with bud and coors unless they come in paper boxes, then they are dumped and fill up the bins pretty fast. i dont think any of the pubs would have smaller bottles than 330ml unless you'd be considering using coke bottles which are all going to be dumped anyway

garv123 wrote: »
    working in a pub at the moment and all the bulmers and bottles like them are returned to where they got them from back in the crates. same with bud and coors unless they come in paper boxes, then they are dumped and fill up the bins pretty fast. i dont think any of the pubs would have smaller bottles than 330ml unless you'd be considering using coke bottles which are all going to be dumped anyway

I work for a wholesaler. Coke bottles are returnable, unless wherever you work gets the ones from N.I. that are non returnable and are a sh*t load cheaper.

Any bottles coming into the pub in crates will be returned back to wholesaler, as the publican recives credit for these.

But yes, anything in cardboard boxes are just throw-aways and publicans would be delighted to get rid of them, lessening waste costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

buy a pressure barrel, beer on draught....slurp!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

tesco extra in naas have a section for home brew.

they sell bottles tools and equipment and ingredients
    . I was going to give a go for the craic

Advertisement