Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Studying in UK

Options
  • 17-11-2010 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am considering doing a course in the UK next September. I am not sure if I will do a post or undergrad. I will be returning as a mature student (I have an M.Sc.). I have 3 questions.

1. Because of my past education and qualifications, do I need to apply like a normal undergraduate via UCAS or do mature students apply via a different system.

2. The UCAS website says that the dealine for the following courses has passed:
    All medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and veterinary science courses. Does anyone know if Biology would fall in this list?

3. I have been living and working in the UK for 3 months now (and for 3 months back in 2004). Would I be eligible for a UK student loan?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Conor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Hi all,

I am considering doing a course in the UK next September. I am not sure if I will do a post or undergrad. I will be returning as a mature student (I have an M.Sc.). I have 3 questions.

1. Because of my past education and qualifications, do I need to apply like a normal undergraduate via UCAS or do mature students apply via a different system.

2. The UCAS website says that the dealine for the following courses has passed:
    All medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and veterinary science courses. Does anyone know if Biology would fall in this list?

3. I have been living and working in the UK for 3 months now (and for 3 months back in 2004). Would I be eligible for a UK student loan?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Conor

Moved to NI/GB Colleges

In answer to your questions:

1) You apply via UCAS, everyone does.

2) Not to my knowledge, no. Medicine et al are wildly oversubscribed and so the selection process is intense, brutal and long - hence the early closing date.

3) You can apply for a loan to cover tuition fees. Non-UK students don't qualify for maintenance type loans. See here.

Good luck with the applications and if you've any more questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

pow wow wrote: »
    Moved to NI/GB Colleges

In answer to your questions:

1) You apply via UCAS, everyone does.

2) Not to my knowledge, no. Medicine et al are wildly oversubscribed and so the selection process is intense, brutal and long - hence the early closing date.

3) You can apply for a loan to cover tuition fees. Non-UK students don't qualify for maintenance type loans. See here.

Good luck with the applications and if you've any more questions just ask![/QUOT

In relation to 1) You do not necessarily have to apply through ucas if you want to do a post graduate degree. Check the Universities web site. You can apply directly. I have already done just that this year.

Advertisement