Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets

Options
  • 17-11-2010 1:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭

Just looking for some options for a decent helmet that isnt too bulky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Your best bet is to go to one of the shops and try them on. The least bulkiest one may not be the best fit. I got mine in Belfast last year in Climate Ski but I had to try on a good few to get a snug fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

pmccormack wrote: »
    Just looking for some options for a decent helmet that isnt too bulky.

Like what was said above, fit is the most important thing. That said, Bern produce some of the least bulky helmets I've seen.

http://www.bernunlimited.com/Products/Helmets/Baker?helmetType=Snow

I have a Scott helmet and its doing me well (not overly bulky but not "neat" either) , but when its served its time I will be considering the Bern helmets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think I got my last one in Great Outdoors.

Do not just go and get the most expensive/ cheapest one. Try them on and check that they fit you well and get that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Any idea where in Dublin would stock Bern helmets? I've been to snow and rock to try on RED and Salomon, but want to try the Bern before shelling out the guts of €100!

The Bern helmets I tried on were in Scotland (Glasgow Xscape) and in Chamonix. The nearest place I know of is in Northern Ireland - Chain Reaction Cycles

OPEN: Mon-Tues 9.00am - 5.30pm
    Wed-Fri 9.00am - 9.00pm

Chain Reaction Cycles Ltd.
    Kilbride Rd
    Doagh
    Ballyclare
    BT39 0QA
    United Kingdom

Tel: 028 9334 5515

They also have a website: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=1037&PartnerID=2957&gclid=CJXfpbC5qKUCFUxO4Qodgxw6jg

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Do not just go and get the most expensive/ cheapest one. Try them on and check that they fit you well and get that one.

Regarding the cost of snowboard helmets -

All snowboard helmets sold in Europe *must meet a minimum standard (CE 1077). So if your holding a helmet costing €200.00 in one hand and another costing €50.00 in the other there should be no real difference in "protection" as they have both been tested to the same standard. So costing more doesnt necessarily mean your getting more.

One thing about the Bern helmets is that most of their snowboard/ski helmets are certified to be bicycle helmets too (CE 1078).

* I'm open to correction on this, but from all my googling in the past this is what I remember.

Regarding the cost of snowboard helmets -

All snowboard helmets sold in Europe *must meet a minimum standard (CE 1077). So if your holding a helmet costing €200.00 in one hand and another costing €50.00 in the other there should be no real difference in "protection" as they have both been tested to the same standard. So costing more doesnt necessarily mean your getting more.

One thing about the Bern helmets is that most of their snowboard/ski helmets are certified to be bicycle helmets too (CE 1078).

* I'm open to correction on this, but from all my googling in the past this is what I remember.

True to an extent. They will have some sort of certification that they passed standards etc. and will (should!) state it if they don't.

Bern make a "hard hat" that has a softer foam liner and it explicitly says in any description of it that it doesn't meet the standards. Anecdotal evidence found elsewhere seems to suggest it's up to the job, but not quite as suitable for the really massive falls.

As said above, though, a well fitting €20 helmet (that meets standards) is safer than an ill-fitting €120 helmet. It just might not have ventilation, or earphones or other features.

Thanks for clearing that up Massey.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

All Helmets sold in Europe must meet a min saftey standard no matter what.

BRING YOUR GOOGLES WITH YOU WHEN TRYING ON THE LID!!!!!!!

Nothing worse than having googles that do not fit properly with the LID.

Also would have a look at http://www.snowfusion.co.uk/sc/123/Ski-Snowboard-Helmets/Hammer-HMR-Helmets.htm

Some cracking helmets on here.

The minimum standard is true, but the bern hard hats always specifically state they do not meet the standards for action sports or snow sports. Presumably they meet some sort of other basic standard.

Are they trying to say that they're not "helmets," as such? - Hence being called "hard hats."
    The Bern eps foam helmets do meet the standards, though.

Now where can I try one on?!! I don't want to buy off chainreaction without knowing the fit and sizing.

• Advertisement

So I was correct that minimum standards must be met when it comes to snowboard helmets. So Bern produce two "types" for some of their snow sports helmets. Hard Hat (not certified) and Standard (certified).

Phew, I knew I had done a lot of research on this was the one thing that stood out to me !

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Now where can I try one on?!! I don't want to buy off chainreaction without knowing the fit and sizing.

I cant really explain the fit of the helmets I tried on but Bern do have a size chart on their website for helmets.

Yeah it's a bit confusing alright. From reading elsewhere, I'm veering towards a "hard hat," (with audio of course!). I've read a few reviews where they've taken hits and were fine, so that'll do me!

review
    more reviews
    some boardsies opinions, but not sure if they're eps or hard hat

EDIT: Going by their size chart, and any other lid I've tried, I'm a medium. But from experience (motorbikes) every brand is shaped differently. Also, goggle compatibility is pretty important. I might have to wait until I'm away and try get one there.

Advertisement