Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSL Season 3 [Use Spoilers]

Options
  • 17-11-2010 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

So GSL season 3 preliminaries finished yesterday, having 2 full days of rounds to decide the Ro64 for the GSL season 3.

Here is a list taken from TL.net of all the people who have made it through

zerg-big.gifZerg......................................................terran-big.gifTerran..............................protoss-big.gifProtoss.................................random-big.gifRandom

NEXDrug....................................................MakaPrime.............................Cyrano....................................GuMihofOu
    EGIdra.......................................................시나브로프라임.........................TSL.GuineaPig
    Sleep.........................................................ST.Rainbow............................ST.BoogieBoy
    NEXLine.....................................................sCfOu.....................................Banbanssu
    FruitDealer................................................NEXON....................................NEXChoa
    NEXNaya..................................................oGsHyperdub.........................cOreZenith
    HelloPrime.................................................LittleBoy.................................cOreZenith
    IMJunwiPirme (This is not a Prime)............TheBestfOu............................HongUnPrime
    oGsTheWind..............................................LiberoPrime...........................oGsVines
    ST.July.......................................................TSL.Rain.................................anyproPrime
    ST.Superstar.............................................Lyn.........................................choyafOu
    Sen...........................................................ChaosTheory..........................oGsMC
    Liquid`Ret................................................[라츠........................................NSP.Genius
    토샤드........................................................OdinMvP
    LeenockfOu...............................................JSLZenith
    DreamizEr..................................................BoxeR(FoxeR
    엔에스피준...................................................Jys
    CheckPrime................................................SlayersBoxer
    IMNestea...................................................IMMVP
    Liberty.......................................................Destination
    NewDawn..................................................LiquidJinro
    jookToJung................................................PoltPrime
    GoldenfOu.................................................Clide
    oGsZenio...................................................aLivefOu
    ST.Monster
    KyrixZenith
    Liquid`HayprO

Some interesting facts.
    There are 5 non Koreans in the Ro64
    Team Liquid sent 4 players to the preliminaries and 3 of them got in, unfortunately Liquid`Huk did not make it.

NaDa, Inca, Loner, Ensare, iNcontrol, Tester, SeleCT and KiWiKaKi Did not make the Ro64

zerg-big.gif - 27
    terran-big.gif - 24
    protoss-big.gif - 12
    random-big.gif - 1

For full list of Season 3 Ro64 Qualifiers : http://www.gomtv.net/2010gslopens2/news/274

Also 50 VODs of Preliminary Rounds will be casted and will be available on GOMtv until 22nd of novemember

STARCRAFT Ⅱ Open Season 3 Schedule
    Ro64 : Nov. 22nd ~ Nov. 25th
    Ro32 : Nov. 26th ~ Dec. 1st
    Ro16 : Dec. 2nd & 3rd
    Ro8 : Dec. 6th & 7th
    Semi-Finals : Dec. 9th & 10th
    Finals : Dec. 18th

Round of 64 dates and matches

Group A - 2010 22/11
    (Z)NesTea vs (T)Jys
    (P)oGsVines vs (Z)Sen
    (T)LittleBoy vs (Z)JookToJung
    (T)MakaPrime vs (Z)Sleep
    (Z)oGsTheWinD vs (Z)GoldenfOu

Group B - 2010 23/11
    (T)Rache vs (P)BoogieBoy
    (Z)DreamizEr vs (T)Rain
    (T)Libero vs (P)Genius
    (T)RainBOw vs (Z)NewDawn
    (T)BitByBit vs (Z)HayprO

Group C - 2010 23/11
    (Z)Tosyad vs (Z)FruitDealer
    (T)sCfOu vs (T)Bless
    (P)anyproPrime vs (T)TheBestfOu
    (Z)NEXNaya vs (P)HongUnPrime

Group D - 2010 24/11
    (Z)ret vs (P)Cyrano
    (T)JSLZenith vs (Z)Kyrix
    (T)BoxerPrime vs (Z)NEXLine
    (R)GuMihofOu vs (Z)Monster
    (P)GuineaPig vs (Z)Junwi

Group E - 2010 24/11
    (T)Clide vs (Z)Leenock
    (Z)Max vs (T)oGsHyperdub
    (P)oGsMC vs (T)OdinMvP
    (Z)July vs (P)cOreZenith

Group F - 2010 25/11
    (T)aLivefOu vs (Z)oGsZenio
    (T)PoltPrime vs (Z)NsP.Joon
    (T)Jinro vs (Z)NEXDrug
    (Z)Moon vs (T)ButterflyEffect
    (Z)IdrA vs (P)NEXChoa

Group G - 2010 25/11
    (T)IMMVP vs (P)Banbanssu
    (Z)AnnYeong vs (P)Choya
    (T)Destination vs (Z)CheckPrime
    (T)SlayerSBoxeR vs (T)NEXON

I will try and update this page with the brackets in spoiler tags so that people can keep track of it

EDIT: Groups have been updated with whos playin and when

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The one random player there should be applauded for qualifying as random.

That is some serious amount of game knowledge and skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

So... like... we have had two GSL's and we've had 2 Zerg winners. We have the largest ratio of Zergs in the qualifying rounds and Blizzard are still adamant on buffing Zerg and nerfing Terran. Right, I getcha.

Why do people think HuK can go from being a good American SC2 player to suddenly being in the top 100 in Korea? I don't get it. Anyway, can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

So... like... we have had two GSL's and we've had 2 Zerg winners. We have the largest ratio of Zergs in the qualifying rounds and Blizzard are still adamant on buffing Zerg and nerfing Terran. Right, I getcha.

Why do people think HuK can go from being a good American SC2 player to suddenly being in the top 100 in Korea? I don't get it. Anyway, can't wait :)

OOhhh..

GSL mostly terran in the final 16 - fruitdealer was somewhat of a freak considering pre 1.2 terran had been dominating most tournaments, glad its changed since then

GSL2 post 1.2 patch, more Zerg, less Protoss, still mainly terran, 3 terran 1 zerg in the semis I believe, 4:3 final game

Finally GSL 3, zerg for the first time outnumbering terran in any tourney since the beta, sadly protoss suffering

Of all foreigners (bar Idra) Huk has probably had the most prominant tourney placings and wins, i gauruntee his teammates were surprised they made it and he didnt

Watch out for Julyzerg, hes in there somewhere, maybe with some korean name - huge apm, monster zerg player from sc1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I hope cliiiide does good! I dont think foxer's style will be effective this time round now that everyone knows it. Hope he changes it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

the New GSL season 3 website is now live with 50 free prelimary VODs on http://www.gomtv.net/2010gslopens3/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The_Keeper

Already bought my season ticket.

Season 2 was a lot better than Season 1, hoping the same can be said for Season 3!

Great to see some more foreigners qualifying, and a Random, will definitely watch those games.

Hopefully this time round a Zerg doesn't take the crown. Although its sad to see so few Protoss getting through.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Got my ticket, can't wait for this to start. :)

Cant get myself to buy it, im not at home to watch the games so it just feels a waste

Might invest just for re-watch value, not sure

I updated the first post with the dates and Groups of the Round of 64

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The_Keeper wrote: »
    Already bought my season ticket.

Season 2 was a lot better than Season 1, hoping the same can be said for Season 3!

Great to see some more foreigners qualifying, and a Random, will definitely watch those games.

Hopefully this time round a Zerg doesn't take the crown. Although its sad to see so few Protoss getting through.

so how does this ticket works, how much is it for 1 season? what time are the games, as i was figuring it out, and it was very gay time, like in the mornings?

on GSL3 note: Every gsl, theres less and less protoss, we will be soon behind the glass boxes as exibits of lost era!

i wount cry about balance, but when zerg was doing bet, it got a boost with roaches and bildings hp, protoss are doing bad, they get VR nerfed, zealot time increased and now the want to nerf psi storm :(.

and protoss needs a good star player like nestea, fruitdealer,hope_torture, boxer ( real one, as fake boxer is just a marine/scv cheeser).

• Advertisement

I think there is a pretty decent number of good protoss players around.

Coincidently, most of this forums best players are protoss , and most of the best players I know...are protoss.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think there is a pretty decent number of good protoss players around.

Coincidently, most of this forums best players are protoss , and most of the best players I know...are protoss.

protoss do really well in low leagues, but when we go pro, there is nothing there to be competitive. kiwifella droped, huk droped, nexgenius? :confused:

i love protoss and i play protoss. i just want te see more protoss games, not TVT or TVZ 90%.

dont mind me, just a bitchy morning for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

These are the first matchups for GSL3. Looks good for most of the foreigners qualifying on paper.
    64A - 2010 11/22
    (Z)NesTea vs (T)Jys
    (P)oGsVines vs (Z)Sen
    (T)MakaPrime vs (Z)Sleep

64B - 2010 11/23
    (T)Rache vs (P)BoogieBoy
    (Z)DreamizEr vs (T)Rain
    (T)Libero vs (P)Genius
    (T)RainBOw vs (Z)NewDawn
    (T)BitByBit vs (Z)HayprO

64C - 2010 11/23
    (Z)Tosyad vs (Z)FruitDealer
    (T)sCfOu vs (T)Bless
    (P)anyproPrime vs (T)TheBestfOu
    (Z)NEXNaya vs (P)HongUnPrime

64D - 2010 11/24
    (Z)ret vs (P)Cyrano
    (T)JSLZenith vs (Z)Kyrix
    (T)BoxerPrime vs (Z)NEXLine
    (R)GuMihofOu vs (Z)Monster
    (P)GuineaPig vs (Z)Junwi

64E - 2010 11/24
    (T)Clide vs (Z)Leenock
    (Z)Max vs (T)oGsHyperdub
    (P)oGsMC vs (T)OdinMvP
    (Z)July vs (P)cOreZenith

64F - 2010 11/25
    (T)aLivefOu vs (Z)oGsZenio
    (T)PoltPrime vs (Z)NsP.Joon
    (T)Jinro vs (Z)NEXDrug
    (Z)Moon vs (T)ButterflyEffect
    (Z)IdrA vs (P)NEXChoa

64G - 2010 11/25
    (T)IMMVP vs (P)Banbanssu
    (Z)AnnYeong vs (P)Choya
    (T)Destination vs (Z)CheckPrime
    (T)SlayerSBoxeR vs (T)NEXON

so how does this ticket works, how much is it for 1 season? what time are the games, as i was figuring it out, and it was very gay time, like in the mornings?

http://www.gomtv.net/2010gslopens3/premiumzone/Service.php Here is the list of the prices for the season ticket.

Simplicity For Season 3, the VOD and live season ticket will cost $19.95 if you have not purchased any season before this, if you have purcahsed a season 2 ticket you can get a discounted price of $14.95. These prices however are only here before the tournament starts.

This will offer you all of the VODs(Video on demand) of all the matches with commentary. And will also allow you to watch the matches live.

Cleaned up the front page a small bit putting all qualifiers in a table type thing, very basic and prob looks uggly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The one random player there should be applauded for qualifying as random.

That is some serious amount of game knowledge and skill.
    But is it really worth it from a competative point of view? The opponent will know relatively quickly what race you are (early scout) and if you're not going for a race early all in cheese combo it will not matter since you're going to be limited in possible builds (even more so as you have to practice for 3 races and not 1).

This also means that you're going to be risk drawing your worst race (and by definition one will be worst) and constantly need to play better then your opponent to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nody wrote: »
    But is it really worth it from a competative point of view? The opponent will know relatively quickly what race you are (early scout) and if you're not going for a race early all in cheese combo it will not matter since you're going to be limited in possible builds (even more so as you have to practice for 3 races and not 1).

This also means that you're going to be risk drawing your worst race (and by definition one will be worst) and constantly need to play better then your opponent to win.

Super early scout means far less economy. Its incredibility important that you gather ever last mineral you possibly can in the early game. A early scout means delayed tech, workers, buildings. It puts the other player on the back foot from the start. But as you said random also has all the downsides of above.

Its one of the reasons people love TLO so much. He played random, did amazing at it. But in the end he swapped to Terran(then Zerg) because he felt he couldn't play Protoss that well. Not to say he wasn't winning, but in a PvP he was almost guaranteed to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I picked up a ticket for season 2 after some chats with the IRC people. It was very enjoyable (still watching more then I play currently)

This should be good!

Nody wrote: »

Random really screws over Zerg. Unless you scout with one of your starting workers, on a 4 player map you've no idea if you're facing another Zerg or not and fast expanding against another Zerg is suicide on most maps. Not fast expanding against other races is also suicide for the most part (though arguably you could go 7RR and expand behind it blind or similar). The thing is, scouting with one of your initial workers puts you behind against everyone so it's not worth doing because 66% of the time he's not Zerg.

It's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

You have to assume your opponent is 6 pooliing if he goes random, screws you over a bit.

The Group A of Round of 64 has started today, the first game is now finished.

Group A - 2010 22/11
    (Z)NesTea vs (T)Jys
    (P)oGsVines vs (Z)Sen
    (T)MakaPrime vs (Z)Sleep

(Z)NesTea vs (T)Jys jsut finished. And the winner is
    (Z)NesTea
    I'll try and add as much synopsis of the games I could, however I missed Game 1 and Game 2 of this match up and just tuned in on Game 3

It was a Bo3 game, that played all 3. NesTea took the first game, with Jys taking the second. For the deciding third, Jys did a a fake bunker rush trying to make NesTea produce more zerglings while NesTea went for the early expand, and then followed it up by walling out the zerglings at the top of NesTea ramp with 3 bunkers, with NesTea rsponding of killing his marines and then floading in zergligns to Jys forcing the gg after so many scv's got destroyed due to JyS prevent the wall off to his main base

(P)oGsVines vs (Z)Sen Has just started:
    First game is just about the start, the first map is "Steps of War" Vines has spawned in the top position. Sen starting off hiding his drone in which he fast expands, and then patrol a drone at the bottom of his ramp to prevent a pylon wall in. Vines creates a forge and then a pylon at the cliff looking into his expand, he then sends down 6 probes and a zealot and creates cannon preventing Sen his expansion. Sen counter reacts by sending his zerglisings to Vines and vines reacts quick and walling off his top of this ramp. Another zergling rush Sen got zealots out of the Protoss gaps and killed off the zealots but stalkers came out, with that Sen GG and the first game goes to oGsVines. Current score is oGsVines 1 Sen 0.................................................................................................................
    Second game is just about to start, the second map is "Delta Quadrant". Vines spawn in the top right position, while Sen spawns in the bottom left. which are opposite positions and furthest apart in this map. With a early scout from Vines, he locates his opponent quickly and decided to put his probe on his expansion, however Sen does get the hatchery down quickly. Vines then does a Gateway and Cyber block off on his ramp, and Vines pushes out a Stargate he then pushes a stalker out to try and take down the overlord watching his expansion. This forces a lot of zerglings from Sen. A lot of zerglings out of Vines base and he warps in a sentry. He then decided to build a phoenix's from his stargate. He gets 3 phoneixs and starts attack Sen lifting up Queens and killing them taking out 2 queens and 3 overlords, with that attack Vines then expands in his back expansion. Sen suiciding a overlord with noting being shown. Vines is constantly harassing Sen with the phoenixes. Vines deiced to do a time attack, he sees Sens army and pushes back and with the sens macros up takes a third and becomes more supply then vines. Vines then commits to his attack, putting down some great force fields however the army size of zerglings and hyrdeas from Sen was to great and takes down Vines army and then Vines GG. Current score is Sen 1, Vines 1..........................................................................................................
    Third game is about to start and the third map is "Blistering Sands ". oGsVines spawns at the bottom with Sen spawning in the top. Sen goes with his early hatch yet again. Vines makes a single gateway and a cybernetic core at his ramp. Vines sneaks a probe in and sees only a spawning pool researching. Vines then goes for a 3 gateway and expand with building sentries. Sen then builds a roach warren. Vines starts another 2 more gateways getting up to 5 warp gates. Vines then pushes out with 6 sentries 6 stalkers and a zealot, he builds 3 pylons just to get them to build, with some great force fields Vines continues his attacks. Sens is researching borrow, with that vines pylons finish and is warping in stalkers from his 5 gateways Borrow completes, and using it good, still keeping his hatchery. his roaches are starting to fall even with borrow and Vines does a fantastic force field on the ramp to prevent reinforcement, and then Sen sandwiches the stalkers with the roaches and drones and defends this attack and with the loss of the stalkers Vines GG making Sen the winner overall.

I'l be missing the next few games so I'll update when i get back, what do people think of me writing these quick synopsis?

(T)LittleBoy vs (Z)JookToJung has been played. And the winner is:
    LittleBoy

(T)MakaPrime vs (Z)Sleep has been played. And the winner is:
    MakaPrime

(Z)oGsTheWinD vs (Z)GoldenfOu And the winner is:
    GoldenfOu

I'll be updating this post with the winners of the next games also.

• Advertisement

Your a star, appreciate the work being put in, its a fantastic read for me in work ;)

Your a star, appreciate the work being put in, its a fantastic read for me in work ;)

Will try and get the other games soon

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

Was down at the studio for day one, some good games and much prefer the obbing from the korean than tasteless.
    Hopefully get some time tomorrow to check out Jinro playing, and see idrA go down in a ball of flames :)

Jinro looking a bit shaky, not going to go far I think. Idra looking very strong, though opponent was quite weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

I never have the time to watch this live myself but I do watch the VOD's

I'm finding that this season they are choppy in parts to the point where its like they are being fast forwarded. Is anyone else experiencing this?

If they are charging for the privilege you'd think they'd be flawless!

Paleface wrote: »

I'm finding that this season they are choppy in parts to the point where its like they are being fast forwarded. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, I've been experiencing that and GOMtv have said they're looking into it and trying to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The_Keeper

Paleface wrote: »

Yea I noticed that with the VODs from the first day, but all the other days have been much better, no more stuttering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Cheers for the replies. I figured it might have been a temporary problem alright. I'm only on the second day of VOD's at this point so was unaware that they had been looking into it.

Gah, Ret getting knocked out 2-1. :(

• Advertisement

If someone could spoiler post Jinro v moon today I'd appreciate it ;)

Advertisement