Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent:Dead car battery

Options
  • 17-11-2010 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Ok my car won't start and I'm new to Limerick. I don't have AA cover. Who can I call?

I need to buy a new battery anyway so can I just call a motor factors and get them to come out with a new battery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Yeah, wont come out though, you will need a mobile mechanic.

Battery should be about €70

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Anyone have a number for a decent mobile mechanic? I'm in Castletroy so anywhere this side of the city would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

See if one of your neighbours have jump leads.

There is a motor factors in the Castletroy Shopping Centre (next to Superquinn). BTW you can still ring the AA even if you are not a member, they will just charge you more. Might be worth asking them anyway.

I'm near enough to UL. I'm not walking distance of any motor factors to my knowledge so I'm looking for someone who'll do a callout.

Edit: my neighbours are all gone to work I think...

AA charge 199 euro for joining on the spot and that gives you a years membership as well... If no other option presents itself in the next half hour I'll go with that I think. I'm really late for work now.

Can anyone save me some money guys? I can't find any phone numbers for mobile mechanics in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

nathan184 wrote: »
    I'm near enough to UL. I'm not walking distance of any motor factors to my knowledge so I'm looking for someone who'll do a callout.

Edit: my neighbours are all gone to work I think...

AA charge 199 euro for joining on the spot and that gives you a years membership as well... If no other option presents itself in the next half hour I'll go with that I think. I'm really late for work now.

Can anyone save me some money guys? I can't find any phone numbers for mobile mechanics in Limerick.

1. I've been asked if I have happened to have Jump Leads in my Car and was happy to oblige - Most decent Folks will help out once they are not rushing back to work etc.

2. Have ya a basic toolkit? Even a Taxi to the Motor Factors by Superquinn would be cheaper than a Mobile Mechanic? You'd just need to hook up the two terminals?

3. If you don't know for sure that your Insurance Company/Policy doesn't include breakdown cover then ring and ask.

4. You seem to have reason to believe that the Battery is the sole issue here - €199 paid to the AA + €70 for a new Battery may not be a good option for you - Also they will just get you started and then píss off leaving you no better off the next time you kill your engine (?)

5. Best bet I think is to check terminal connections on Battery to ensure you have a means to loosen and re tighten (basic tools) get a Cab to the Motor Factors, buy a new Battery and or any missing tools, fit it, and then get a decent quote from an Insurance Company that offers breakdown assist type cover.

• Advertisement

I'm waiting for a phone call from a mobile mechanic now. I'll ask the price before I give the go ahead. Anyone know the typical price?

You might be right about a taxi to the motor factors but I'll wait and see how much this will cost.

The battery is old and I know they are affected by low temperature. It's been slow to start in the mornings for nearly a week now. I'm willing to bet it's just the battery.

Edit:I'd appreciate if anyone can recommend someone to do a callout. This guy I'm waiting for still hasn't called me back.

Another Edit: A guy in windmill motors is sending someone over to try and start it and it's 30 euro for the callout. Hopefully the problem is now solved. Thanks for helping guys.

Final Edit: Got a new battery and I made it to work an hour ago. The guys in the garage said this is happening to loads of people recently with the cold weather coming on. I should have spotted it sooner and brought it in myself I would have saved 30 euro.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Nathan. I'm in university business complex near UL, and have jump leads in boot.

Edit - Didn't spot til later that you'd gotten sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

In fairness to Windmill Motors - €30 seems to be a reasonable fee under the circumstances & they prob. deserve the good mention on here for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Raiser wrote: »
    In fairness to Windmill Motors - €30 seems to be a reasonable fee under the circumstances & they prob. deserve the good mention on here for it.

€30 is reasonable alright, but I suppose they will take any business they can get considering there probably isn't a huge demand for windmill motors in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The cheapest option in this case (if no neighbours can help) is to phone any of the taxi companies and ask if any of the drivers have jump-leads and can call to you.
    They rarely charge more than €20 to come out and jump start your car.

The OP is right to blame the battery. If the battery is on the way out the colder temperatures will finish it off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement