Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokemon Green Leaf Levelling up

Options
  • 17-11-2010 2:59am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm on my first play throughof green leaf and just reached the elite four and absolutely getting my ass kicked. I've only beaten lorelai once and had nothing left but a severely beaten up Lapras. Anyway I'm severely underlevelled, only at level 45 with all 6 of my pokemon and think I made 2 bad decisions taking a raichu and kadabra as 2 of my main pokemon. Any tips on good places to level up fast so I can get this game over with?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

How is taking Kadabra a bad decison? It has a pretty high SP. attack and speed, so it should get a first hit in a lot, and with its attack, should do a lot of damage as long as it's not "not very effevtive". Just avoid using it against stronger 'mons that can get it with physicals.

Anyway, only places I can really think of would be grinding in Victory Road (dull, I know), or using the VS searcher thing in an area full of trainers to maximize your chance to get trainer battles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Suppose he is good but the low defense and HP means he is no good if some one survives a psychic attack and gets a hit in. At these levels he just doesn't have the staying power against the elite 4. Raichu is a total disaster. Thundershock is his best attack and that only takes about a quarter of a pokemons health even when super effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Is there any way you could trade with another GBA Pokémon game to evolve your Kadabra? Your Pokemon will also get 1.5 times the experience if they level up in a different game.

Otherwise, I'd recommend replacing your Raichu with the likes of Electabuzz, Jolteon or even Zapdos (if it's available before the Elite 4 and you have a Thunder TM)

Who else is on your team? And have you stocked up on tons of Revives and Full Restores for the Elite Four?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope can't trade with anyone. I can't get a jolteon because I evolved into a flareon. Electrabuzz seems to be a Generation 2 pokemon.

My team consists of a Bulbasaur, Raichu, Lapras, Flareon, Gastly (thought I'd need a ghost pokemon but he's not great) and Kadabra.

Got about 20 revives and full restores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Sorry, my mistake, Electabuzz is only available in Fire Red. Doesn't leave you much choice for Electric types unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Teach Raichu Thunderbolt or Thunder and it will make short work of Lorelai. Just use Flareon against her Jynx.

Your Lapras and Kadabra will make very short work of the next two members of the Elite 4 and your Raichu and Lapras should beat the last one.

Then just lead with Raichu against your rival and counter-pick each of his pokemon.

Battling the E4 is probably the best way to level anyway.

Yeah think I just need to level up. I've got a train trip to Limerick this weekend so could do it then :)

You shouldn't need to level up.

Level 45 is well high enough for the E4.

Why do you only have a Bulbasaur and not a Venusaur?

You should have Haunter at least instead of Gastly, but you'd be better off with something other than a ghost type to be honest.

Use a good normal type like Tauros or Snorlax. Make sure they know Body Slam, Hyper Beam and Earthquake to take advantage of their high attack stats.

Rest is a great move for Snorlax too as it can take a hit while you wake it with the whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Stock up on those Revival Herbs. These cost a bit more than a Revive, but refill all HP instead of 1/2, sure they lower happiness, but this the Elite Four we're taking about. Seems you can only get these in LF by dining the Berry Crush thing which is multiplayer only.

If you want something to help with the Elite Four, try a speedy Golbat. He goes fast, confuses stuff, drops a fast Toxic but does die fast...

I'm pretty sure Zapdos and Articuno can be nabbed pre-Elite Four, they might help if you are still struggling.

Sorry have a venosaur and a haunter, wasn't thinking. I'll have a look if I can find a better pokemon to replace Haunter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

I dunno man haunter should be pro enough for in game like. I'd go with a substitute/hypnosis/dream eater. Should even out the frailties and gives you a fourth slot for a nice attack for pokémon that don't mind being hit with dream eater.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

You shouldn't need to level up.

Level 45 is well high enough for the E4.

Why do you only have a Bulbasaur and not a Venusaur?

You should have Haunter at least instead of Gastly, but you'd be better off with something other than a ghost type to be honest.

Use a good normal type like Tauros or Snorlax. Make sure they know Body Slam, Hyper Beam and Earthquake to take advantage of their high attack stats.

Rest is a great move for Snorlax too as it can take a hit while you wake it with the whistle.

Haha and jesus chopper do you come here often?? I've only seen ya on the LOI Forums :P

Edit: Sorry for double post

That's pokemon league champion to you!

Thanks for all the help guys, managed to beat the game last night. Seems I didn't need to level up really. Found out the problem with my Raichu. He doesn't learn new techniques so was stuck with piss poor thundershock. Got a TM for thuderbolt and he instantly became one of the best pokemon on the team. Venosaur did well but ultimately had too many weaknesses, Kadabra kicked ass but only survived two turns if he was lucky due to terrible defense, Flareon did well, had good staying power and once I gave him flamethrower he was a lot more useful. Haunter was a bit useless really, defense was way too low but curse was a good desperation attack. The star of the show was lapras who kicked major ass.

Anyway I can't wait to move on to generation 2. Been obsessed with pokemon for years but this is the first time I've sat down and beat one. Now to get my hands on silver soul or heart gold.

But the games you've been playing are Gen 3 and Heart Gold and Soul Silver are Gen 4.

If you want proper Gen 2, you'd just have to play Gold, Silver or Crystal.

Suppose but I only really have the time to spare to go through gold/silver once so want to go through the best version. Am I better off playing the latest remake or Silver which I already have?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Since you'd need a GBC to play the original Gold / Silver, and since you can trade your HG/SS pokemon into Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (As well as importing your Red/Green and Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby ones after beating the elite 4) I'd go with either HG or SS (doesn't really matter which) so at the end of it all you have a shot at completing the Pokedex in one of the 5 Gen IV games - which is, after all, just another way of beating the game...

Advertisement