Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extracting movies from iPhoto

Options
  • 17-11-2010 1:01am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm new to the whole iphoto thing - I've imported a whole load of movies into iphoto, now I need to extract them so I can put them onto my pc. Can someone tell me how to get them out? When I did an extract got a file of only 100k not 100mb or so as I was expecting...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Find your iPhoto folder (can't remember its' exact location but should be in your Home folder - if you right click any item in iPhoto you should be able to select "Show in Finder" to get to it). Right click the iPhoto folder and select "Show Package Contents". In here, there's an "Originals" folder which contains the full-size photos and videos you imported into iPhoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

I'm not sure if all the right clicking and 'showing packages' etc is the right way to go. The iPhoto library is not really meant to opened during normal use, that's why it's a package especially for anyone who is 'new to the whole iPhoto thing'.
    It's only really as simple as dragging the movies from the iPhoto window to a flash drive or whatever or creating a 'Burn Folder' on your desktop and dragging the movies to there and just burning that to a disk.

Simon201 wrote: »
    It's only really as simple as dragging the movies from the iPhoto window to a flash drive or whatever or creating a 'Burn Folder' on your desktop and dragging the movies to there and just burning that to a disk.

If you do that you end up with the downsized photo/video that iPhoto created which is exactly what the OP wanted to avoid...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

J-blk wrote: »
    If you do that you end up with the downsized photo/video

Na not with me - an exact copy (file size and resolution) of the original camera imported photo is exported out of iPhoto when dragging out of it. This is with the latest OS and iLife 11 iPhoto though. Suppose they could of changed stuff with recent updates.
    And the benefit of using a 'Burn Folder' is I think it only creates aliases in the burn folder.

Simon201 wrote: »
    Na not with me - an exact copy (file size and resolution) of the original camera imported photo is exported out of iPhoto when dragging out of it. This is with the latest OS and iLife 11 iPhoto though. Suppose they could of changed stuff with recent updates.

That would be cool if they changed it, it was one of the biggest nuisances in older editions that I've heard different people complaining about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement