Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right bike for dirt jumps

Options
  • 16-11-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I want to do dirt jumps like Enniskerry or St Annes Pk. I bought a Giant Brass in April this year however it is too heavy & I can't get the hang of it.

I am a complete novice at this (which may be obvious from my bike choice) and would welcome any suggestions, tips or re-direction.

Would be more than happy to consider old bikes or building up from old parts just to feel my way into it. Frames would have to be small as I am 5ft tall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

GT chucker range.
    Kona Cowan , Shred.
    Specialized P1 etc

Get one with 100mm forks on the front and something with a short rear end.

Could be worths building up a frame such as a DMR trailstar and going down to 24" wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 skidz 5

tkx Kona

would you mind explaining to me the differences I would notice between your recommendations and the brass

Hi again

judging by the number of replies I may be in the wrong place. Any suggestions for alternative sites would be welcome

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

Hi skid,

Check out epicmtb.ie. Those lads will point you in the right direction.

Shane

Tks sgriffin - will try there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

What ever happened the good oul BMX??

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Mods delete if this isn't allowed, but I think its relevant to the thread.

I have a dirt jump bike I might be looking to sell.
    It's a standard steel no-name dirt jump frame. Marzocchi DJ2 forks (I think) Mavic rims with shimano hubs, hayes 8" front brake, hope mini rear. Drivetrain is shimano, a mixture of XT and deore LX. I Cycled into college a while ago and one of the lads fell off it and broke the thumb part off the shifter, so it either needs a new one, or an old broken one to take the part off. Would prob want about €350ish. Its a solid bike (except for the shifter!!). I also have a little box of bits including spd pedals and shoes if you want them for longer spins, some XT v-brakes etc.

If you're interested, send me a PM, and I'll send you on pics or arrange a viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

if you're a total beginner get a bmx...much easier to throw around... You could just talk to the guys in Enniskerry... also try irishdh.com as that is where they hang out online..

Thank you bitemybanger & mtbireland but at the time I was told that the brass was the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

The Giant Brass is a DJ bike.

You dont pick it up straight away, you need to practice and practice and in fairness probably break bones. Try learning to bunny hop and do other bits and pieces, the art of trails by ryan leech and fundamentals are good DVDs that show you the techniques. Its NOT something you pick up overnight and IMO too many people blame the bike for not being able to do a difficult sport.

You might need to do some weights and build up your upper body. It will give you strength and stamina to throw and pull the bike about, and provides armour when you crash.

• Advertisement

Tks Kona

Following sgriffin's advice I also posted on epicmtb and this is what 'Al' over there had to say - very similar to you. will take it on board - tks again

the brass is an entry level dirt jump bike and it will do the job. Weight is pretty much not important. Technique is what gets you in the air not a light bike. Just go to the trails and keep practicing. It takes time to get good at jumping and dont forget to help maintain the jumps they dont build themselves. The builders in anns and enniskerry will be glad of some help keeping there trails in good repair. Save your money and keep riding the bike you have for now. Once youve got a bit of skills it will make it easier for you to get a new bike as you will have more of an idea what your looking for in a dirt jump bike. They all look the same but different length top tubes, seat stays etc will change how the bike feels. You will understand this better once youve spent some time on your existing bike and are more aware of its short comings etc. Good brands are the like of ns, blackmarket, dmr, identity but theres no need to go and shell out a load of cash on a bike as its not gonna make it easier over night. Its all about spending time on the bike you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Karl.kell

your best off getting a bike frame with a short wheel base! but not to short haha regards to forks your best off getting something hard but not rigid forks. I made the wrong decision of getting a bike with a large rear triangle and with a long stem! check out www.irishdh.com or www.pinkbike.com and the guys online there are pretty sound or call down to the jumps any weekend the guys down there are very helpful

Advertisement