Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PT vs Neve vs PT with some extra software thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

ah whats the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

For those who don't like wasting their time reading instructions:

"Please note that because we want this challenge to be a fun and enlightening experience for everyone, we won’t be revealing the actual answers until December 1, 2010,"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

One thing our Plug-Ins day in Windmill a while back made very clear was that the differences sonically are very subtle between hard and software.

When Olde School guys like Mick Glossop and Nu Skool chaps like Robert Orton are all mixing ITB or Hybrid you know it's time.

Whilst other laws don't change ( unless you can hear what your 60 and 100 Hz are doing you're guessing) this is one thing that is.

It's good to see !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I really enjoyed the 9 minute video of him talking about heat and as a concept I am all for it but surely in these 9 minutes they could have given us some audible example or a graphic to show what the plug in is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

I can barely hear a difference between all the mixes. I'd still prefer the Neve desk over Pro Tools though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Ya it's subtle. But on good monitors or cans there are differences I think, greater than what you'd get with different converters. His Phoenix plugin is lovely, and Heat seems like a very reasonably priced, and apparently better, version of that.

It's an interesting one, if the differences are subtle on your monitors then probably the room acoustics could be improved. I know mine could be (bigger room needed).
    dav nagle wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the 9 minute video of him talking about heat and as a concept I am all for it but surely in these 9 minutes they could have given us some audible example or a graphic to show what the plug in is doing?
    What about the test as linked to above?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

madtheory wrote: »

What about the test as linked to above?

Ya my bad just the promo was 9 minutes of back to the future tech talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

54%

i preferred the heat mixes most seemingly.

will be interested to hear what was what when the answers come out.

That's interesting. Maybe it's because Heat does both 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortion. According to Dave Hill tape is mostly 3rd. So obviously a Neve desk can't do that so much. So the test is slightly dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

madtheory wrote: »
    That's interesting. Maybe it's because Heat does both 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortion. According to Dave Hill tape is mostly 3rd. So obviously a Neve desk can't do that so much. So the test is slightly dodgy.

makes sense that i'd prefer heat if thats the case, as adding 2nd and 3rd order is very much akin to how i work now (slate VCC and nebula R2R tape pack).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I prefer to add my 2nd and 3rd Harmonics together and add a nice layer of 5th Harmonics using the Wafflelator Plug-in ....

Advertisement