Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro

Options
  • 16-11-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Just wondering is now a good time to invest in a macbook pro? Is there a new generation coming out soon like the ipads? or does anyone know if they will be reduced before xmas? Also was just looking on apple.com/ie and apple.com/au/ (Australian Store) the australian store offers them about 70 euro cheaper then over here. Is there anydifference if i got a cousin over there to bring one home for me at christmas then buying one here? Any advice needed please.. Thanks :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Next MBP refresh will be early next year. Probably February. If you can, I would wait. Apple don't cut prices, but there will probably be a very small discount for Black Friday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

twig wrote: »
    Just wondering is now a good time to invest in a macbook pro? Is there a new generation coming out soon like the ipads? or does anyone know if they will be reduced before xmas? Also was just looking on apple.com/ie and apple.com/au/ (Australian Store) the australian store offers them about 70 euro cheaper then over here. Is there anydifference if i got a cousin over there to bring one home for me at christmas then buying one here? Any advice needed please.. Thanks :pac:

Probably better off asking Here.

this is the iPod/iPhone/iPad arena.

Bringing back from Oz, they'll have to get rid of box, etc as VAT and Duty will soon make it more expensive than here if stopped by Customs. Apple products are usually the same everywhere due to keeping the retailers margins low. There might be a slight drop on the Black friday sale, or do like I did and buy one from the Apple refurb store and save nearly €200......

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭twig

Sorry for putting in wrong place and thanks for moving :)

Next MBP refresh will be early next year. Probably February. If you can, I would wait. Apple don't cut prices, but there will probably be a very small discount for Black Friday.

Would it be worth the wait? Any idea of what upgrades or new features will be on the new mbp? Thanks for the replys :)

i'll have a look on black friday.. would best place to check be apple.com/ie? for discounts that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Would it be worth the wait? Any idea of what upgrades or new features will be on the new mbp?
    Processor bump. The Sandy Bridge chips might be out by then. Otherwise, I wouldn't really be expecting anything major, but ya never know with Apple. I'm not sure if it's time for a redesign just yet, however, they've hit a bit of roadblock with the 13-inch which might force one. And they could add Flash storage and other iPad-like features as they did with the Air recently.
    i'll have a look on black friday.. would best place to check be apple.com/ie? for discounts that is?
    Yeah, www.applestore.ie

The Black Friday discounts are usually pretty crap tbh. You'd be better off going the refurb route as suggested above. Discounts of up to 20 percent.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

It looks like there is an upgrade but not a new line soon...Some info here about what the upgrades might be...

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

The advice from that site is not to buy now. The forums on Macrumors.com (american spelling) forums are a good source of info about all Apple products and worth a browse for anyone considering buying.

Personally I hate buying tech products at the end of their cycle, for the sake of a few months you will probably get a machine that will do you an extra year or two.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

RGDATA! wrote: »
    It looks like there is an upgrade but not a new line soon...Some info here about what the upgrades might be...

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

The advice from that site is not to buy now. The forums on Macrumors.com (american spelling) forums are a good source of info about all Apple products and worth a browse for anyone considering buying.

Personally I hate buying tech products at the end of their cycle, for the sake of a few months you will probably get a machine that will do you an extra year or two.

And I'd be exactly the opposite. I always try to buy near the end of the cycle, if there is a brand new model in the pipeline. Any problems are normally ironed out by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭twig

The Black Friday discounts are usually pretty crap tbh. You'd be better off going the refurb route as suggested above. Discounts of up to 20 percent.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

What exactly was wrong with these in the first place? What im asking is why are they refurbs? I'm thinking since im hoping this laptop would last a year or two maybe be better to buy new?

What exactly was wrong with these in the first place? What im asking is why are they refurbs? I'm thinking since im hoping this laptop would last a year or two maybe be better to buy new?

Maybe nothing. Could be someone changed their mind and returned it. Could have been a problem with the machine, sent back under DOA procedure, fixed by Apple and everything checked thoroughly. So it will normally be under 2 weeks old, sometimes you get a better spec than what is advertised, i got a 320GB HD rather than the 250GB advertised on the refurb store.

Advertisement