Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used/recommend a career guidance counsellor?

Options
  • 16-11-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

hi! Just wondering if anyone has consulted an independent career guidance counsellor when deciding about going back to college? And if so, who did you go to, and would you recommend them? (I live in Dublin & can't drive, but would go somewhere else if there's public transport!)

I'm 29 and in a total funk with my life at the moment. Feel WAY over qualified for the job I'm in (have a research MSc & work in admin), don't want to work in the area I studied (was a ridiculous choice & I've already tried it; it's definitely not for me & now I'd be too out of touch with the area), and feel like I don't have any useful skills that can get me working in anything else! :(

I need some help to figure out what skills I do have and what kind of work I am better suited for. And if they can help me work out the first steps on the path, all the better.

If you've gone to a career guidance counsellor, and found them helpful, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

I've just realised this could be the help I need over the weekend, & see already that the CAO etc has reopened so know I'd need to get my name in by the end of Jan if I'm considering going back to college next year. I've wanted to go back to college for about 3 years, but to do what?

I'd be happy to at least just figure out a goal that I can aim for slowly, maybe a part-time or evening course now to try it out, and maybe full-time training later (when I know it's right for me). I doubt I'll qualify for any assistance (having done a 4 year undergrad + 2 years research, and now I work full-time in a job that's draining my soul... frown.gif) I have a mortgage, so giving up my job to change my career is a big risk, but I can't continue as I am!

So I need to speak with someone who can really help me work this out. Any advice or experiences appreciated! :D

Advertisement