Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro not playing video

Options
  • 16-11-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi, I have a macbook pro 13 inch which has stopped playing videos of any kind suddenly. This happened once before for about a week then remedied itself again. Any ideas? Slightly technophobic.. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

When you say stopped playing what do you mean? When you double click on a video what happens? Or does not happen? Have you tried opening a video through Quicktime?

What might have happened is the default video player on your mac has changed for some reason, so when you double click on a video it tries to open an application which can't play it or doesn't exist.

Also is it all types of video which don't play? What different types have you tried? divx/mov/mkv etc etc

I generally use vlc player on the mac which works very well on lots of file types, prefer it to quicktime anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it's not playing now at all. I double click on any video and the screen remains blank. The options to play/pause/enlarge aren't appearing nor the length of any video.
    I'm also not sure what I have been using to play them but I never installed anything specific to do so.
    Not sure if my minimal information helps sorry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Are these videos on the computer or on a website you are accessing? (it may be a problem with your band-width / internet connection and nothing to do with the computer).

no on a website, youtube for example just nothing happening at all.. what could affect the bandwith?

sorry should say the internet connection appears to be ok, no problems accessing anything else at present, not sure if that makes any difference

Ah ok, so videos playing from the web.... ignore my advice from earlier then! Do you use Safari as the web browser?

Most of the videos on the likes of youtube etc play through Flash.... check if flash is working properly, try browsing to: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
    There should be a banner thing saying "flash successfully installed". If not, you may have to download/install/reinstall the latest version of Flash player.

• Advertisement

apologies should have made that clearer!
    Yes using safari as the browser, went to the link you posted there but it's not displaying what you indicated it might. It's strange as it was only working fine as recently as yesterday..

Ok, i'm not infront of my macbook so can't be certain, but am pretty sure that page should return a banner saying installed successfully.... What does that page display? What I'd suggest is to uninstall and reinstall flash player.....

This link should assist the uninstalling/reinstalling:
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/865/cpsid_86551.html#prob1=uninst,os=m10.6,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to the mac forum.

Thanks for the link. I uninstalled it but seem to be worse off now as having problems re-installing. Followed the steps as far as I know but now getting this error message when trying to play videos:

The page “” has content of MIME type “application/x-shockwave-flash”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.

Did you restart Safari once it had finished the installation? I don't think it prompted me to restart, so just quit and started again before would register the new plugin.

• Advertisement

nope hadn't thought of that :rolleyes:

just shut down and re-started, working perfectly. thanks for all the help :)

Nice one good to hear is working! glad could help out!

fergusb wrote: »
    Nice one good to hear is working! glad could help out!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Hey new to mac and trying to streem fm104 or rte player.. Can't get it to work. The link I'm trying to play is here. Any ideas. Youtube works fine, dvd plays fine.

http://media.vistatec.ie/fm104/asx/fm104.asx

Doesn't work for me either, so think just not compatible with mac.... the Windows Media Player version does work though:
    http://media.vistatec.ie/fm104/wma/fm104.asx

Advertisement