Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I am turning vegetarian

Options
  • 16-11-2010 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a note to say I am going to give vegetarianism a go. My reasons are that I am an animal lover and feel hypocritical raving about them to anyone who'll listen yet eating meat.

I have tried vegetarianism before whilst travelling but gave it up because I visited a country where being a vegetarian is quite difficult (lame excuse I know).

I was wondering if any of you could give me advice on becoming a vegetarian. Is it ok to just stop eating meat? I am aware of the need to keep an eye on my diet and make sure I get enough vitamins. I may buy a book. Do any of you have any good resources for a good vegetarian diet?

I plan on training for a marathon soon so I will need to get my porteins in. I really don't want to loose much weight.

Thanks,
    Walrus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was wondering if any of you could give me advice on becoming a vegetarian. Is it ok to just stop eating meat? I am aware of the need to keep an eye on my diet and make sure I get enough vitamins.
    Pretty much, yes. Careful control over your nutritional intake isn't quite as important for vegetarians as it is for vegans.

The one thing to watch out for is overdoing it on fats and carbs. It's very easy to bulk out your dishes with cheese, rice, pasta or sauces, but this has the effect of bulking out your belly.
    I plan on training for a marathon soon so I will need to get my porteins in. I really don't want to loose much weight.
    Eggs and dairy are great sources of protein as is quorn and tofu. Tofu is easy enough to cook, but takes a while to figure out how. Quorn foods can be used as direct replacements for meat, so they're obviously easier to slot in there.

There's a lot of hysteria about nutrition and diet when you turn vegetarian, but it's actually not that much of a departure from an omnivorous one. IMO, you're more likely to overeat than undereat as a vegetarian. It's veganism really where you need to ensure that you're eating the right balance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can jsut stop cold tofurkey ( see what I did there haw haw), I did one day. Just make sure you know where you will be getting your specific nutrients from, protein, omega oils, b12 etc. It's not hard being veggie after the start. Beans, nuts, pulses, eggs etc are your friend!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290778

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I didn't realise carbs can give you a belly. I've been trying to get rid of my beer belly for a few years now and I eat pasta 5 times a week. Slightly off topic I suppose.

Anyway, I had my first vegatarian lunch today. A mushroom sandwich. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I didn't realise carbs can give you a belly.
    Well it's not so much that. You need carbs. But evidence suggests that when you eat protein-rich foods, you tend to feel full quicker and therefore eat less. This is the basis of the atkins diet.
    Carbs on the other hand, I dunno about you but I can pretty much eat carbs until they're coming out my nose. This is the issue moreso than simply consuming carbs - you don't feel full as quickly and so ending up eating far too much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I didn't realise carbs can give you a belly. I've been trying to get rid of my beer belly for a few years now and I eat pasta 5 times a week. Slightly off topic I suppose.

Let me begin by wishing you good luck in the transition...it shouldn't be tough really, but here's hoping it works for you this time:)

Yes carbs can cause you to bloat, more specifically white carbs like white bread/pasta/noodles, although they can have a similar effect, brown or wholegrain versions are better for you due to a lesser amount of processing and they have an increased fibre content, thus helping your digestion. Your first lunch sounds really good (just dont ask Tar how that love for mushrooms:p), and most veggie lunches are simple to prepare. If you were to eat a breakfast based on complex carbs, like wholegrain foods...or porridge/muesli, then you can tend to use less carbs during the day also.

Regarding your marathon training: I ran the Dublin one last year and found that I lost around an inch of muscle through 6 months worth of hard training on my legs, but that was expected...I kept my nutrition at an optimal level and never ran out of energy during any session, and felt no ill effect either. In fact the training just improved my overall health and combined with a (personally) supervised diet, my body felt amazing. If you need training advice, do what I done and get some from the Athletics/Running/Triathlon forum, and keep to a proper vegetarian diet...you'll have little problem once you have your bases sorted :D

Best of luck once again, with the diet and the Marathon :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well we will get along swimmingly :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 peeweegirl

Im a veggie - never was really a meat lover. I stuff my face with stir-frys, salads, currys, pasta, soup, cheese, veggie burgers... Have to say falafel is my fave! I dont take any supplements at all - no matter how good my intentions are every January 1st! Ive gotten a few blood tests & have given blood and Im not anaemic which leads me to believe Ill live to see another day!
    Good on ya!

I am looking forward to feeling a lot healthier. The final straw was me having a 1/4 pounder and chips for dinner last night (not a regular occurrence). I felt sick after it.

I hear you re eating pasta. Some people have looked at my plate of pasta and gasped. An hour after i've wolfed it down, I'm hungry again.

I hope I see this through. I feel kind of excited. I can now stroke a cow on the head and appreciate its value without feeling guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 peeweegirl

Oh and by the way, the people that give out to me saying Im not getting everything I need blah blah blah.. are usually the people that chow down on breakfast rolls and MacDonalds every second day! We could teach them a thing or two! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I was wondering if any of you could give me advice on becoming a vegetarian. Is it ok to just stop eating meat? I am aware of the need to keep an eye on my diet and make sure I get enough vitamins. I may buy a book. Do any of you have any good resources for a good vegetarian diet?

It's a little more than just giving up meat. I never really ate much meat to begin with so it was watching out for all the other sneaky animal-based ingredients that was tricky but then again easy after a while, your list of things you can't eat is always growing, but there's a hell of a lot of tasty alternatives out there. Do stay with us though :)

• Advertisement

Where do you people get your vegetarian meal suggestions from? Can anyone offer a good vegetarian receipe book that will ensure I get the right vitamins and is also tasty without meat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Treeplanter

Well done walrus...
    I have no problem with people eating meat, in fact i think we are designed to do this sometimes. I do think most modern methods of meat production are cruel to the animals involved and very destructive to the enviroment in terms of co2 and land use.
    Try cashews, walnuts and any other nuts! A great source of protien... Have you tried halumi? (a blend of sheeps, goat and cows milk), it fries or grills really easily. the only vitiman suppliment i take is B12 (sometimes), if im not getting enough marmite!It is linked to seritonin? production, so will keep you happy :). Reminds me marmite and tahini (good source of calcium) go well together on toast. Mixing a grain,a pulse and a seed creates a whole protien (like found in a red meat).Try baked beans on whole grain bread! Also green veg are a great source of iron.
    Ive never tried meat, But think i would find it very strange to start now...But im Guessing I would love the taste of some meats! never had any real nutritional problems or growing issues (im 33, 6ft 3" and 13 stone).
    Happy eating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Well done! Hope it works out. One of the benefits is that it makes you a more adventurous cook :)

Lentils and pulses and spinach are your friends!

I take a korean ginseng, multivitamin and evening primrose oil every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Where do you people get your vegetarian meal suggestions from? Can anyone offer a good vegetarian receipe book that will ensure I get the right vitamins and is also tasty without meat?

Have a look here :)

http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/index.html

Simples!

Advertisement