Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earliest Limerick christmas memories

Options
  • 16-11-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭

Todds windows with the mechanical puppets, santa in todds or speights, looking in the windows of roches toy store and wishing for everything in it and burgerland afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

The massive crib in St.Johns cathedral :)

New pajamas and clothes for Christmas day & St. Stephens day

Birds Trifle (which we still have :P)

The curly wurly in the selection box

Finding the pressies in the hot press :D

The grown ups drinking Irish Coffees

Turkey sarnies on Christmas night

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

Todds window for sure.
    Pouring water on the road and skating on it.
    The local parish choir used to go around on the back of a lorry singing all the Christmas songs.
    Visiting Santa at Todds.
    The tv shows,,Chitty bang bang,Willie Wonka,Rudolph the rednosed reindeer. tv adds like the coca cola ones from the 60s and 70s.
    Turkeys hanging up at the market.
    Cutting holly from the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I hope Captain Average is online today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Trip to Todds or Woolworths to have your picture taken with Santa.
    Watching Willie Wonka or Indiana Jones on the tv on Christmas Day.
    Post Christmas dinner walk in Cratloe Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I remember when Arthurs Quay used to have really cool Christmas Decorations hanging from the ceiling in the centre area. They were like life sized reindeers and santa in his sleigh. They were class. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

bazz26 wrote: »
    Trip to Todds or Woolworths to have your picture taken with Santa.
    Watching Willie Wonka or Indiana Jones on the tv on Christmas Day.
    Post Christmas dinner walk in Cratloe Woods.

your'e showing your age now boy.

i thought i would be the only one to remember woolworths

culchie's trip to town 8th dec
    todd's window first stop and would have to re visited at least twice more before going home

anyone remember the "teddy boys" was afraid of my life of them, one of them tried to nick my mum's purse in the market, but was spotted by one the stallholders

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I cannot really remember anything specific. That's not good. :( I have pictures of being in Todds with Santa(helper of course) and Newsoms had a guy as well.

I do remember getting things for Christmas but that doesnt help. Evil Knievel anyone with the wind back ramp thingy. :confused:

However, when I update this thread in 15-20 years I will say:

"I remember when somebody put a floating electric tree in the river and wouldn't you know it, it crashed into the bridge" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Superman pyjamas and hungry hippo. Christmas cake with rock hard icing which melted in your mouth. Coca cola in the fridge. Hiding the brussel sprouts and carrot and parsnip in a tissue to be thrown in to the bin. Croquettes and tearing around in my new tricycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

culchie's trip to town 8th dec

That still happens, worst day of the year to work in retail, theres a smell of cabbage around town.

krudler wrote: »
    That still happens, worst day of the year to work in retail, theres a smell of cabbage around town.

:pac: lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Coming down stairs to find Castle Greyskull in all its glory beside the tree, best christmas ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

krudler wrote: »

not from this household for the last number of years, galway, ennis or nenagh for my gang now, .. shop assistants far more courteous and helpful.

I still occasionally go to limerick nowdays, I still use a solicitor firm there, and call to see my "friends" in sarsfield house, but as for spending my hard earned €'s there, no way!

snowman707 wrote: »
    I still occasionally go to limerick nowdays, I still use a solicitor firm there, and call to see my "friends" in sarsfield house, but as for spending my hard earned €'s there, no way!

Thanks man, also thanks for deciding to pop in and contribute so positively to this thread!!

I also remembered being threatened with a bag of coal or slack for Christmas.

Do parents still do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Berty wrote: »
    I also remembered being threatened with a bag of coal or slack for Christmas.

Do parents still do that?

Kids these days are way more clever than we were! Most of them probably don't even know what slack is :D

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Kids these days are way more clever than we were! Most of them probably don't even know what slack is :D

Or the good shepherd. :mad:

Advertisement