Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the Kebab Shop on William Streeet called?

Options
  • 16-11-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone remember what the Kebab shop on William street was called?
    Before Abrakebabra. I'd estimate about 15 to 20 years ago. I think it was near where the centra is now near Lifestyle sports. Thanks people

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Burgerland? I've vague memories of being taken there as a treat by my parents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭adaminho

Ciao Ciao?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Burgerland? I've vague memories of being taken there as a treat by my parents :)

Werent they in the Crescent too? That place had the nicest burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Burgerland was where lifestyle sports is now. Scratching my head now, can't remember another place besides burgerland and the golden grill. Only place i remember doing kebabs as a young un was friar tucks.

And you always wanted to get invited to the guys birthday party where it was held in burgerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Mmmmm.. club burger from BurgerLand :P and the milkshakes were gorgeous aswell. remember the round booths with the mirrors?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Mc Love wrote: »
    Werent they in the Crescent too? That place had the nicest burgers
    No that was Hi/Hamburger inn.... My friends used to call it Hi hamburger

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Mmmmm.. club burger from BurgerLand :P and the milkshakes were gorgeous aswell. remember the round booths with the mirrors?!
    I remember it well and going there as a treat for the birthday. My parents still have pics of birthdays there

adaminho wrote: »
    Ciao Ciao?
    Doesn't ring any bells with me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Found an old photo from 1991 , still looks like abrakebabra was there!

Bus Eireann, (Roxboro, Limerick), Bombardier, KD 50, (50 JZL) was photographed on 16/06/91 stopped on William Street, Limerick while operating the route 3 to Rathbane. KD 50 was a one bus (1st) batch delivered new to Limerick Garage. At the time of the photo, KD 50 was still in very original as delivered condition complete with bumper mounted number plate and CIE crests still visible.
    20sg7t3.jpg

Burgerland was where lifestyle sports is now. Scratching my head now, can't remember another place besides burgerland and the golden grill. Only place i remember doing kebabs as a young un was friar tucks.

And you always wanted to get invited to the guys birthday party where it was held in burgerland.
    You could be right. Was that on william street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Great pic Phill106! That abera was much nicer than the O'Connell St. one now. They had crinkle chips :D god I'm such a junk food junkie :o

amiable wrote: »
    You could be right. Was that on william street?

Across from the franciscans where apache pizza is now Best curry chip in town at the time.

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Great pic Phill106! That abera was much nicer than the O'Connell St. one now. They had crinkle chips :D god I'm such a junk food junkie :o
    Yeah i remember the crinkly chips too and the novelty of them.
    Great pic is right. So i must have my years wrong if that pic is 91

Across from the franciscans where apache pizza is now Best curry chip in town at the time.
    I remember friar tucks now. I don't live in limerick anymore so some places are hazy to me.
    Its not friar tucks though that i'm thinking of

Thanks, photo was from the dublin bus site

Wish we still had those buses! Ah Hi Hamburger - how could I forget. Simply awesome food

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone remember King Canute's shop where William's Court Mall is now. It used to be a big mirrorred glass building that was damaged by fire back in the mid 1980s?

They sold some junk in there.

I remember O'Connell Mall and the little cafe they used to have in there. Also there was a fitness place just upstairs (back part of the jasmine) - that brings back some memories

Anyone remember the 99p shop, it was like a pound shop but a penny cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

Second vote for ciao ciao remember little mexican dude sitting next to the name on the sign

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    I remember O'Connell Mall and the little cafe they used to have in there. Also there was a fitness place just upstairs (back part of the jasmine) - that brings back some memories
    I do believe that was called 'Shape'

bazz26 wrote: »
    Anyone remember King Canute's shop where William's Court Mall is now. It used to be a big mirrorred glass building that was damaged by fire back in the mid 1980s?

They sold some junk in there.
    I remember it well. I also know what happened it but for legal reasons i wouldn't like to go in to it.
    Sold alot of junk alright but sometimes you could find a little treasure.
    They sold Star Wars action figures sometimes

Jesus you are on fire today! :D

Wonder is that where "You throwin' shapes?" Comes from?

phill106 wrote: »
    Wonder is that where "You throwin' shapes?" Comes from?
    Quite possible.... Haha

Still no firm answer to the opening question although there are 2 votes that think it was 'Ciao Ciao' which i don't doubt.
    Anyone else remember other Restaurants/Fast Food establishments from the past in Limerick.
    Wasn't 'Huckleberry's' down in Speights?
    And the 'Hot Rock Cafe' out on the Ennis road next to O'Mara motors and another where The Peony Court is now?
    I'm open to correction on these

Right on the one where Peony court is now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

I remember it well. I also know what happened it but for legal reasons i wouldn't like to go in to it.
    Sold alot of junk alright but sometimes you could find a little treasure.
    They sold Star Wars action figures sometimes

I was working across the road the evening of that fire and we had a grandstand view from the upstairs windows.

Yeah hucks was in speights. They served food in a basket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Still no firm answer to the opening question although there are 2 votes that think it was 'Ciao Ciao' which i don't doubt.
    Anyone else remember other Restaurants/Fast Food establishments from the past in Limerick.
    Wasn't 'Huckleberry's' down in Speights?
    And the 'Hot Rock Cafe' out on the Ennis road next to O'Mara motors and another where The Peony Court is now?
    I'm open to correction on these

Right on the hot rock cafe beside O Mara motors and video city.

Knickerbockery glories mmm

Advertisement