Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well this just blew my mind

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Really, it did

I have to go somewhere and have a think now

*head explodes

my head is kind of buzzing after that. its nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

all pretty basic stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I have to go somewhere and have a think now.

Turn out the lights, smoke and joint .. and play this while you do it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Grimes wrote: »
    all pretty basic stuff?

Anything can be basic if you're familiar with it. I'm not and I'm guessing others aren't which is why I posted it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Anything can be basic if you're familiar with it. I'm not and I'm guessing others aren't which is why I posted it

/joke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Grimes wrote: »
    /joke

apologies :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

should read flatland the book, it's pretty good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

So its: dot, line, split fold, line split fold, line split fold, dot.

And zero, fourth, seventh and tenth are the really significant dimensions. They are they ones where you have to suspend reality and "imagine" stuff. The rest is fairly comprehendable.

So they're saying there's no eleventh dimension because all the possibilities are accounted for? I dont know. It sounds logical to us, but then again if our view of "logic" and physics is is different in dimension 7 (I think), surely thats as far as the theory can go?

The more I learn, the more I believe in God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You've sprained my brain. I hope you're happy. Prepare to get knocked into the eighth dimension.

My solution is that there's multiple universes. Universii?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Universeseseseseseseseseseseseseses

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

tl:dw

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Ouuuuccchhhh! I think Iv filled my brain up and now I cant find my car keys! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

While it's interesting, I don't think it's scientifically accurate. The 11 dimensional space described by Brian Greene (a leading string theorist) sounds nothing like what the video describes.

For one thing string theory describes 10 spatial dimension and 1 time dimension, not multiple branching time dimensions/universes. Parallel universes are also completely separate things to multiple dimensions, this video seems to be confusing the two.

I'm no physicist but my limited knowledge of string theory leads me to doubt that this video is anything more than and interesting mind game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

sink wrote: »
    I'm no physicist but my limited knowledge of string theory.................

Hahahaha what a way to start a sentence

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

longshanks wrote: »
    well im no theoretical astro physist but string theory and all the extra dimenions are a bit makey uppy if you ask me

(i did read the trouble with physics which i think was meant to be for string theory but seemed to prove and then re prove that string theory isnt the answer)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

longshanks wrote: »

The entire extent of my understanding of string theory comes from what I read in this book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elegant-Universe-Superstrings-Dimensions-Ultimate/dp/009928992X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289934265&sr=8-1

Which admittedly is not a lot. However it describes multi-dimensional string theory completely differently to what is described in the above video. Considering the author of the book is a published scientist and a Professor of Physics at Columbia university, I am willing to believe him above a random youtube video.

If anyone is interested there is a tv documentary series based on the above book available for free online.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

go. then, there are other worlds than these...

loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I went on vacation to the 4th dimension 6 days from now. There wasn't much to see.

Advertisement