Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Anne's Children's Centre, Taylor's Hill, Galway

Options
  • 15-11-2010 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi, a friend of mine has been advised on sending their child ( 8yr old boy) to this school for a period of 3 months for analysis and treatment. He has been assessed before but his condition has never been pinpointed. He shows symptoms of Autism and ADHD, but never actually been diagnosed as either of these. They say he's in between on a scale. Anyway, it was recommended by his current primary school's counsellor/psychiatrist and he has been enrolled.
    I was just wondering if any of you has any experiences of or knows anything about this centre and particularly its possible benefits/outcomes. I suppose what I'd really like to get, if possible, were instances of other children with similar problems who attended this school and how the parents or children themselves found it? And not just in regards to this school, but anyone out there who is themselves or knows anyone suffering from ADHD, Autism, or anything similar. If maybe you would like to share your experiences of living with it. I would really like to help out my friend, who isn't so great at looking for this kind of help/info, talking to others with similar problems. Your input would be very greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 karlolex

My 6 yr old son has been visiting the centre for over a year now.
    My situation was different though, i knew my son had some problems but they werent diagnosed. He always had problems holding a place in creche etc.

Because he was starting school last september i applied for an assesment of needs to be carried out. My son was seen by social workers and child psyciatrists as well as the consultants in St. Annes.

He was diagnosed with ADHD and Austism. He also shows signs of tourettes. St. Annes helped me get a full time special need assistant and resource hours for my son in school (he goes to a main stream school)
    He gets seen in St. Annes on a regular basis and I have put him on medication while he attends school.
    St. Annes also offer support to the parents and are always just a phone call away if i feel things aren't going well.

My son showed signs of ADHD when he was only a year old. He was very erratic and hurt himself alot. He split his head, broke bones etc all before he was 3!! He has no fear. He walks / runs away from me when im out and about, he darts out on the road without looking (or thinking)
    He cannot control his actions. He is always moving and messing and making noise. He just cannot stop himself. He hurts his little sister, he doesnt work / play well in a group. He is very very smart and gets bored easily.
    And he is hard hard work, there are definite days where i find i just want to give up.

I hope your friend gets the help she needs.
    Because of his age i dont know how the assesment of needs works. I know under 5yrs old have to be seen within in 6 months of the application but i think over 5 your on a waiting list.
    Her son may still be able to attend main stream school, he might just need extra help in school. Its a big fight to get special needs assisntants and resource hours at the minute though with all the cut backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

This forum is for discussing psychology as opposed to advise. Please see the stickys on the main page which 'may' provide some direction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement