Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Byzantine walls

Options
  • 15-11-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

:confused: Here's a question that's been on my mind for a while that maybe a civil engineering can answer. I'm interested in the Byzantine empire and one thing that fascinates me is the strength and longetivity of Byzantine walls and buildings. Apparently, they derive their strength from the fact that the walls have a distinct pattern of alternating layers of thick cut stone and thin flat bricks. I was just wondering why does this way of building walls makes them strong enough to remain virtually intact after 1500 years of earthquakes, invasions and adverse weather conditions?

See this link below to see a typical Byzantine wall:

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/899290-theodosian_city_wall-Istanbul.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kurt largo

Sorry, that should be "civil engineer" in the first sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

Not an engineer, but I would reckon that the stones being square and flat has a lot to do with it.

If you compare it to say a wall in the west of ireland where stones are all sort of shapes and sizes

Ok, well that's a start on explaining why walls with a mix of small and large blocks are strong, but are there sound mathematical reasons as to why this is the case? Are there books on the theory of building walls and/or have there been quantitative studies conducted on the strength of structures such as Byzantine defensive constructions or walls in the West of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

Strenght and durability are two different things.

I would reckon that strenght would be limited by the weakest element in a given loading condition.

where as durability would be a combination of characteristics including flexibility etc

With regards to books, I would think there are loads :)

Ok fair enough, when I mentioned strength, I really meant to say durability. I don't suppose someone could suggest a specific book that might be relevant to this topic?

• Advertisement
Advertisement