Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good free podcast app?

Options
  • 15-11-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭

I'm using beyondpodd trial verison and i can't really fault but i'm poor so can anyone recommend a free podcast app?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

ronano wrote: »
    I'm using beyondpodd trial verison and i can't really fault but i'm poor so can anyone recommend a free podcast app?

Google Listen is a good free one. It's worth having a look at it.

I had problems with it though with a couple of corrupted downloads so I bought BeyondPod. I'm poor too but it's worth the $7.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've been using google listen for a couple of months now. Considering buying a better podcast app, google listen is not great.

If a download fails for some reason, it can be a pain in the ass to get the app to realise it didn't download properly and that it needs to be downloaded again. If you try and add it to your queue after this nothing happens. Only way I've found around this is to delete the partially downloaded file from your sd card and then try and actually listen to the podcast, don't just add it to the queue. The podcast will then redownload.

Also a couple of times I've checked for new podcasts and when they're added to the list it'll say the size is only about 15kb. Obviously the podcast won't download after this, haven't found a way around it yet. The couple of times it happened I had to download the actual mp3 file off the podcast's website and then listen to it using the music player.

Also I had huge problems getting a podcast when searching for a podcast I listen to. Couldn't find it by name or even the rss feed url. In the end I had to add it to my google reader account and then try and get it to sync with google listen, even that wasn't that easy.

It also searches for new podcasts every now and then even though I've explicitly told it not to. It also has problems with not exiting properly.

Actually in short, google listen has to be the worst of the official google apps I've used to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If a download fails for some reason, it can be a pain in the ass to get the app to realise it didn't download properly and that it needs to be downloaded again.

That's the same problem I had. It happened only once or twice a month but it was a pain in the ass.
    Actually in short, google listen has to be the worst of the official google apps I've used to date.

Probably true, but it was still probably the best free podcast app (that I could find a couple of months ago).

That might have changed since I bought BeyondPod. That hasn't given me any hassle at all.
    BeyondPod will do video podcasts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

.PodKast

Has a few things on it I listen to, can stream or download to SD card

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I use google listen.

I mainly listen to podcasts at home as I dont travel much anymore, and the straight up streaming through listen is fine for me.

It also syncs with google reader which I use alot at home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

I ended up buying beyondpod,it's a good app so should support it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

ronano wrote: »
    I ended up buying beyondpod,it's a good app so should support it

Same thing I ended up doing, I watch a few video podcasts & I couldn't get Google Listen to deal with them.

Advertisement