Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Riding Boots

Options
  • 15-11-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering what type of riding boots I should buy (or if I should buy chaps and jodphur boots). I see there are all sorts from jumping to dressage etc. so I haven't a clue.

I am an adult by the way and am not that long riding - maybe a 3-4 months. I am at the early jumping stage of learning. I don't expect to be entering competitions or anything like that. At most I could see myself doing a bit of jumping etc at lessons, possibly some treks etc and probably at most a few hunts (but this is not that likely).

Not sure if there is any other info you might need.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fendigal

<p>Hiya,,if your only getting starting id recommend going for the short boots and chaps. Personally i find them more comfortable. You can go as expensive or as cheap as you like. I bought the rubber short boots an suede chaps when i started back and i'm still wearing them for lessons. I did invest in a pair of leather chaps for shows etc but you can always pick things like that up over time..a lot of the equestrian shops have sales and offers on at different times. Keep your eye out for that..</p>
    <p>Hope that helps.</p>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I am wearing borrowed jumping riding boots. Is there any disadvantage to wearing short boots and chaps instead? I do wear jodphurs when riding.

no disadvantage at all..i think a lot of people where short boots for two reasons. 1) they are handy, easier when your muckin around the yard etc..you can just slip on and off the chaps over them. 2)Some people find it hard to get the long boots to fit calves and that. I know you can get bigger fittin ones.
    Now maybe someone with more knowledge than me could offer more advice..thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

fendigal wrote: »
    no disadvantage at all..i think a lot of people where short boots for two reasons. 1) they are handy, easier when your muckin around the yard etc..you can just slip on and off the chaps over them. 2)Some people find it hard to get the long boots to fit calves and that. I know you can get bigger fittin ones.
    Now maybe someone with more knowledge than me could offer more advice..thats just my opinion
    That sounds good. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

I used to wear full length rubber boots, hated them, really restricted my movement but the cost of full length leather ones were not worth it for casual riding imo. Got a pair of short leather boots in Tescos at the begining of the summer for around €30 and have been wearing them since with jodpurs only, no chaps.

Is there any particular benefit to wearing chaps as in do they help your riding? Stirrup leathers are not pinching me so just wondering if there would be any advantage to adding a pair to my Christmas list :D.

• Advertisement

i always thought chaps were an advantage to supporting the legs, prevent pinching with stirrup leathers..protect ur clothes etc. I find it weird without them now, i have to wear them! but i guess its each to their own really!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Unless you're willing to spend quite a lot of money on a decent leather pair of riding boots, you're better off to go with a pair of jodhpur boots and half chaps, whether suede or leather.

Like puzzle, I had a pair of rubber riding boots when a child and found them quite uncomfortable, especially around the ankle.

Apart from walking work, I can't ride without half chaps as I find my legs get pinched. It's something I used to be able to do when I was younger, but once I started riding in half chaps and riding boots, I wasn't able to go back.

Other than stopping your legs getting pinched, I don't think there's any benefit to half chaps.

Advertisement