Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding in Trinity College

Options
  • 15-11-2010 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

Anybody get married in Trinity College? Just wondering where you went after the wedding? I hope to have a wedding for about 15 people and wondering what I could do after. Am from Dublin and thinking a nice dinner in one of the hotels around but wedding ends at 3.00 and have a lot of hours in the day to fill. Not into the whole bride photos and copy and paste job everyone does.

Any ideas would be really appreciated .:confused:
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I'm not sure if its still the case but it used to be that if you got married in trinity you had to have a reception in their dining hall. Maybe thats has changed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BC wrote: »
    I'm not sure if its still the case but it used to be that if you got married in trinity you had to have a reception in their dining hall. Maybe thats has changed though.
    It's definitely changed, you don't have to use any other part of the college.

The cost of the church is something like €500 and then you're required to also pay for the organist, whether you use him or not (contractual thing). I think that's around €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Depending on the time of year you could walk up to St. Stephens Green or Merrion Square, or get the Dart out to Howth for fish & chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Ok - fee for Trinity is €500; this is for the Church and use of the Chaplain services in helping to arrange things. You have to bring in your own priest.

There are no other fees - if you want to use the organist you can and will pay but you don't pay otherwise.

As to lunch, there are plenty of places around there that would be lovely - what about renting one of the private rooms in some of the restaurants - Fallon & Byrne, The Exchange, Dobbins etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

It might cost ya, but Guilbaud has a private room that I think can cater for 15.

In the meantime, you can stroll from Trinners, via the cricket pitch, maybe take a nice walk around Merrion Square and then into the very nice foyer area of the Merrion Hotel for a chat and a beer or afternoon tea before making your way into the restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are no other fees - if you want to use the organist you can and will pay but you don't pay otherwise.
    Are you sure about that, because that's not how it was last year. The organ scholar is a Music PhD student in Trinity who doesn't specifically get paid for playing the organ, but as part of the whole deal he gets paid for every wedding in the chapel, regardless of whether he's asked to play or not. Obviously from his side, he is required to play whether he wants to or not because that's part of the agreement.

Maybe they've changed that this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Anybody get married in Trinity College? Just wondering where you went after the wedding? I hope to have a wedding for about 15 people and wondering what I could do after. Am from Dublin and thinking a nice dinner in one of the hotels around but wedding ends at 3.00 and have a lot of hours in the day to fill. Not into the whole bride photos and copy and paste job everyone does.

I got married there a couple of years ago and had that same problem of how to bridge the gap betwixt end of ceremony and a reasonable meal time.

I had a word with the chapel porter who was actually going to do the supervision on the day - timing seems to lie in their hands in fact - and he was easy enough with shifting things forward a bit. I think we delayed a half hour that way ..and the bride came 10 minutes late.

You don't have to spend an age taking formal photos but taking some of the group and the inevitable chat will absorb more than you suppose (assuming you have decent weather).

We had our reception in L'Ecrivain on Lower Baggot St - it was a pretty expensive proposition in the boom but they were open to negotiation by the time we were getting married. You'd be getting Michelin-starred food and service for not a whole heap more than you'd pay for more average fare downtown. The advantage with them would be:

- private dining area ideal for a party of that size
    - a slower paced meal (we tookabout 3 hours over ours)
    - they've a gifted pianoman in the bar area so you could retire there after your meal and stretch out the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

seamus after re-reading the T&C's I see that you are right, what a joke! So that means a minimum of €750 to use the Chapel!

Advertisement