Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Yoga Books

Options
  • 14-11-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have been doing yoga for a few years now. I would like to read more about it. Can anyone recommend any good books on yoga they have read?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chevalfou

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I really like the Yoga Journal's website for online reading: http://www.yogajournal.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

That is a really good website. I go on it often.

Thanks alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

I just read Yoga Body by Mark Singleton. It's a fairly academic, historicist study of the rise in popularity of postural yoga in the twentieth century. He looks at the influence of modern Indian nationalism, bodybuilding culture and even the influence of the YMCA in India to show the cultural trends behind popular yoga practice.

It only goes as far as roughly the 1970s. It's very well researched, but the tone is very technical. (Actually the opening sections read like a thesis). Still, I'd recommend it.

I'm now reading The Yoga Book by Stephen Sturgess, which is styled as a practical and spiritual guide. It has some diagrams of asanas, but the emphasis is more holistic. It's in really easy language and I think he does a great job of explaining the theoretical stuff.

One objection I would have is that the writer seems to have harmonised his own christianity with the spiritual aspects of yoga (and good for him etc), but personally I really don't want to read any monotheistic rhetoric, but it's different for everyone.

There's lots of really good detail on many poses, including anatomical diagrams, which are very helpful.

I'd love to hear what other people are reading. Especially if anyone can recommend a compendium of postures. I usually just look at the yoga journal poses section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar is a good compendium of Yoga asanas, ranging from very easy to very difficult.

Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
    by H. David Coulter gives is very detailed study of how asanas affect the physical body.

Finally, the book Hatha Yoga Pradipika by Swami Muktibodhananda isnt bad either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Try http://www.burrenyoga.com/linksx/yoga-products-books-relaxation-items-art-or-gifts-alternative-health.html

One of the best yoga books imo is "Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha" by Swami Satyananda

Advertisement