Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block Websites On Safari

Options
  • 14-11-2010 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to block a website on safari? Facebook in particular, too distracting - can't get my college assignments done!!

Yes, I know... Its sad....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sure, add the domain to the hosts file. This will block it system wide, not just in Safari.

See here:
    http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/19/block-access-to-specified-sites-by-modifying-etchosts/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Or go into system preferences And then parental controls. Just choose safari as the only thing you want to control and block whatever websites you want. You could setup a non administrator account for yourself and have someone you trust be the only person who has the admin password of the only admin account on the computer. You wouldn't be able to unblock the sites without the password which you wouldn't know. You also wouldn't be able to install software or anything else. In my opinion it's a bit extreme, a bit of self control would do. If you just blocked them so when you tried to get on you couldn't then I can see the point, as you'd have to deliberately unblock them. The other option is more solid but OTT in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

http://visitsteve.com/work/selfcontrol/

There's an app for that!

Program in the distracting sites. It blocks them for pre-determined amount of time.

Easy to bypass if you're tech competent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Is it possible to block a website on safari? Facebook in particular, too distracting - can't get my college assignments done!!

Yes, I know... Its sad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Thanks for all the replies! I installed the self control apps and it works great... hasn't solved my problem of not getting assignments done tho!! :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement