Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD conversion?

Options
  • 14-11-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

I want to convert my DVDs so that they'll work with iTunes and I can transfer them from there onto my iPad to watch.

What would people recommend? Something straightforward to use, nothing too fancy - won't be doing editing etc. Also, doesn't have to be free software, no problem with purchasing something if it's the best option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Personally, I use Mac The Ripper to rip copies of the DVD, then Handbrake to convert the feature title to .m4v

Handbrake can do it all in one go, but it's actually as fast to do it in 2 stages as above.

The advantage is that you not only have a copy of the movie that will play in iTunes, but you also gave a backup of your full DVD (extra features, etc)

Also, as I found, Handbrake has issues with movies with complicated subtitles - Inglorious Basterds for instance. You either get subtitles for everything (English included) or none at all. Foreign movies in just one language work fine.

Advertisement