Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Internet Was Accurately Predicted in 1934

Options
  • 14-11-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty damn accurate actually.

Otlet's writings have sometimes been called prescient of the current World Wide Web. His vision of a great network of knowledge was centered on documents and included the notions of hyperlinks, search engines, remote access, and social networks—although these notions were described by different names

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Oops. Meant to post in Cool Vids & Pics & Links. Mod please move?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Its not going to happen..............sorry, gotta go.

My iPhone is ringing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i heard it was predicted in the book of revelations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

i heard it was predicted in the book of revelations too.

Yes, it's in the Bible Code,we only needed the power of modern computers to work the hidden message out.

Was Al Gore around back then?? LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It was predicted in 1934, but there wasn't enough bukkake clips recorded at the time to get it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It's somewhat easy to predict some technological advances. Da Vinci predicted flying machines and many other things.

I can predict that in the future...
    ...we'll have quantum based computers that are 1000's of times faster than current computers.
    ...that TV's/Monitors will be replaced with a direct feed into the human eye/brain.
    ...we will be able to control computers using thought alone.
    ...nano-scale 'robots' will be injected into the human body to cure illnesses and disease.
    ...the internet will become something that we have access to by just thinking. i.e. direct brain-to-internet linking. The sum of all human knowledge available to every single person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Its easier to make such predictions now however due to the sheer magnitude of information and ideas the average person is exposed to in our current time compared to 1934.

Its a pretty impressive prediction the guy made in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

It's somewhat easy to predict some technological advances. Da Vinci predicted flying machines and many other things.

I can predict that in the future...
    ...we'll have quantum based computers that are 1000's of times faster than current computers.
    ...that TV's/Monitors will be replaced with a direct feed into the human eye/brain.
    ...we will be able to control computers using thought alone.
    ...nano-scale 'robots' will be injected into the human body to cure illnesses and disease.
    ...the internet will become something that we have access to by just thinking. i.e. direct brain-to-internet linking. The sum of all human knowledge available to every single person.

Emm I think you have been watching too much Star Trek, sounds like the Borg to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Ghost in the Shell and the matrix too but he's right. We are working on nano technologies for medical uses, and its only a matter of time before we're directly interfacing with computers without the middle man that is a mouse and keyboard or controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

John Brunner predicted it too. In fact, his novel Stand on Zanzibar, set in 2010 oddly enough, details a world run by internet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_on_Zanzibar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Overflow wrote: »
    Emm I think you have been watching too much Star Trek, sounds like the Borg to me.

Star Trek already predicted a lot of technology. Laptops, portable scanning devices, mobile phones, hypo-sprays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Star Trek already predicted a lot of technology. Laptops, portable scanning devices, mobile phones, hypo-sprays etc.

True true !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Doors that open automatically
    computers with voice recognition
    pda's
    cashless society ( It's nearly possible now in Korea )

Advertisement