Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something seems to be "eating up" my Harddrive space!!

Options
  • 13-11-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

OK so I'm running Mac OS X leopard on a 13" Macbook, about 2 and a half years old. I've been meaning to Upgrade to Snow leopard but haven't got around to it yet.

I've gotten the "Start up Disk is almost full" message before but it was down to my Downloads folder being clogged with videos and music that I never properly organized.

Anyway, now even though my Downloads folder isnt full, something is literally making hard disk space disappear. It happened a few weeks ago and I did a clear out, deleted lots of files and even some unused applications, freed it up to about 3.5 GB but its going down and down and I cant figure out why.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Another few things I should point out, in my tunes I have about 60GB of Audio, the Harddrive is 160GB total. I use Final Cut Pro a hell of a lot but I have an external 1TB hard drive as my scratch disk for that. I also have other heavy applications that I use quite a bit but Final Cut would be the main one. Any torrents I download I have then download straight to an External HDD.

If anyone can help it'd be great, let me now if more info is needed if anyone can give me some advice!!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

http://www.derlien.com/

disk inventoryx - scans and maps harddrive show you can see exactly what takes up what and then delete as needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I had a similar problem lately. Just had cleaned 200 GB from my internal hardrive. A day later it was full again.
    After some digging, I found that my back-up program had created a new folder under my volumes with the same name as my back-up harddrive and was backing up to this folder rather than to the external harddrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

That Disc Inventory X seems good but is there any other solutions I could try. Although with Disc Inventory X I can see all my files and what taking up how much space, i cant figure out if something is constantly backing up or what I should delete etc.

Advertisement