Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Superdrive Not Working?

Options
  • 13-11-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

I have the MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) Unibody.
    Its out of Apple warranty 4 weeks ago.
    When i put in a disk, the drive makes a grinding type of noise, the DVD/CD does not appear or mount on the Mac. Also the eject button on the keyboard does not eject it and i must wait nearly a minute for the Macbook to eject the DVD itself.
    Anyone know what might be wrong?
    I was going to open it up myself and check to see if anything is lose, but i dont have a proper fitting screwdriver so anyone know where i can get a proper sized one?
    Also anyone know a good place to get a replacement and how much it might cost?
    Ive seen refurbished ones on ebay for about 60€ or just under?
    Also do i need a specific model one, like will this one work? ( the one i saw on ebay)
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/MacBook-Pro-13-Unibody-8x-SATA-SuperDrive-661-5502-/180577324802?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Laptops_ET&hash=item2a0b3f4f02#ht_1498wt_1100

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

mcw92 wrote: »
    I have the MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) Unibody.
    Its out of Apple warranty 4 weeks ago.
    When i put in a disk, the drive makes a grinding type of noise, the DVD/CD does not appear or mount on the Mac. Also the eject button on the keyboard does not eject it and i must wait nearly a minute for the Macbook to eject the DVD itself.
    Anyone know what might be wrong?
    I was going to open it up myself and check to see if anything is lose, but i dont have a proper fitting screwdriver so anyone know where i can get a proper sized one?
    Also anyone know a good place to get a replacement and how much it might cost?
    Ive seen refurbished ones on ebay for about 60€ or just under?
    Also do i need a specific model one, like will this one work? ( the one i saw on ebay)
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/MacBook-Pro-13-Unibody-8x-SATA-SuperDrive-661-5502-/180577324802?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Laptops_ET&hash=item2a0b3f4f02#ht_1498wt_1100

Thanks,
    Yeah, I had this happen to me too. I fixed it by inserting a DVD cleaning disc into the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

sale of Goods and supply of Services Act 1980.

Goods much be of merchantable quality for a reasonable period of time. A laptop should last more than a year. A 1 year warranty only add's to your statutory rights under the act.

Ring Apple and get on to customer relations, not tech support (you need to ask tech support to put you through, which can be tough but push hard enough and they'll do it). They will generally authorise a repair pretty easily especially seeing as its only four weeks out.

Keep pushing them, they're good with customer relations so ring them ASAP. I'd be hopeful if you do it right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

Yeah, I had this happen to me too. I fixed it by inserting a DVD cleaning disc into the drive.

cheers just bought one on ebay for 7€. hopefully it will work. If not im going to open it up myself and see if anything lose. and final resort il buy a new one :(

Advertisement