Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards: The Root of all Hysteria

Options
  • 13-11-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Just saw this over on politics.

Green Party Senator Niall Ó Brolcháin was speaking about mental health and the recession, and we got a mention!!
    Another phenomenon is that of group think on websites such as www.politics.ie where many people who are wound up to 90 are writing all types of vitriolic things. Those involved are purporting to be people representing society. However bad our public broadcaster is, sites such as www.boards.ie or www.politics.ie are creating hysteria in terms of their content in regard to how bad things are and how badly people are being hammered. That is not good for mental health.

I love it! The country is hysterical because **** is falling apart, any reason beyond that is minimal at best. Maybe I'm wrong though, do you think our daily 'Ireland eaten by financial black hole monster' threads do any damage?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Most of the folks around here probably flew over the cuckoo's nest long before that fateful login.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

AH genuinely is the root of mass hysteria. Quite often misinformed and misguided hysteria too. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

In fairness there is a lot of hysteria and a complete lack of rational thinking around here and on politics.ie a lot of the time.
    But it's a relevantly small percentage of the population and I dont think it's all that relevant, especially considering that there are so many keyboard warriors who just seem to be using boards as an outlet for their anger/incompetence/sexual frustration :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

They are really running out of people to blame at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

De Vore will be thrilled with the namecheck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

it depends how good your sarcasm and satire detectors are..and the all important troll detoctor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I agree that Boards is not good for mental health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Stan - '' If people didn't make threads about the subject on Boards.ie they would only take their buisness someplace else ....it's simple ''

Ollie - '' Ok Stanley ! ''

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I thought the economy was doing great until a mod here on boards.ie made a post about it going to hell. I was blissfully ignorant and happy until then.

Damn me for trusting those mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

some part of me is proud for contributing to the CRAZINESS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Everyone is after me! :(

:)

neither is the internetz

I have an addiction :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

OisinT wrote: »
    AH genuinely is the root of mass hysteria. Quite often misinformed and misguided hysteria too. :o

Rte Have been misinformed also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mass hysteria or cool-aid.

Gimme Mass hysteria, as cool-aid rots my teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Hysterical? He should be dragged headlong by the nostrils through the streets of Galway for making such a comment. Then we'll see who's hysterical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Hysterical? He should be dragged headlong by the nostrils through the streets of Galway for making such a comment. Then we'll see who's hysterical

big time lol.

:D

I have an addiction :(

It's early days , 5000 posts down the line you'll be as crazy as the rest of us ...

Latchy wrote: »
    It's early days , 5000 posts down the line you'll be as crazy as the rest of us ...

I'll start planning the party.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't suffer from hysteria.

I enjoy it!

• Advertisement

I'll start planning the party.

We might all stay till the end to ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Relax people - Nobody is trying to eat our swans.

We might all stay till the end to ....

Did you receive an invite?

Did you receive an invite?

You only started planning and managed to send out invites ...that's some going .

You only started planning and managed to send out invites ...that's some going .

I'm fast at everything ;)

I'm fast at everything ;)

Everything hey ? ......I love fast ;)

"do you think its time to crack open each others heads and feast on the goo inside?"

"yes kent, yes I do"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

"Those involved are purporting to be people representing society. "

Niall Ó Brolcháin

Eh, no. The Green Party are the ones purporting to be representing people in society. that, despite the fact that they only received 4% of the public vote at the last national elections & at the last local elections they were almost obliterated, holding onto just a mere 3 seats.

People who post on forums aren't purporting to represent anyone except themselves. They may be right or wrong in their viewpoints, but at least they are not delusional like the Greens who hang onto the last sliver of power they have before they will finally be wiped out entirely in the next general election.

"Another phenomenon is that of group think on websites such as www.politics.ie where many people who are wound up to 90 are writing all types of vitriolic things. Those involved are purporting to be people representing society. However bad our public broadcaster is, sites such as www.boards.ie or www.politics.ie are creating hysteria in terms of their content in regard to how bad things are and how badly people are being hammered. That is not good for mental health."

Niall Ó Brolcháin

Mr.Ó Brolcháin - have you not read your own Twitter account? The one where you posted;

"Not looking forward to the budget and what lies beyond."

and

"do you think it is advisable to go the way of Greece. I actually don't. However, I'm not sure the budget can prevent that."

Now if that is not creating hysteria in terms of content in regard to how bad things are and how badly people are being hammered, posted by someone purporting to represent society, then I don't know what is.

With the greatest of respect, Mr.Ó Brolcháin, you are a fucking hypocrite of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Just saw this over on politics.

Green Party Senator Niall Ó Brolcháin was speaking about mental health and the recession, and we got a mention!!

I love it! The country is hysterical because **** is falling apart, any reason beyond that is minimal at best. Maybe I'm wrong though, do you think our daily 'Ireland eaten by financial black hole monster' threads do any damage?

What desperation!

Oh how they panic now that they realise all the old restraints are breaking one by one.

The evil 'internets' is what's causing the problem.All we sick crazies here on Boards are voicing opinions,debating issues,and having a laugh if we can.

The church has disintegrated.The government is a persistent failure.The banks are a complete failure.

Fewer and fewer people are listening to mainstream media.People at ground level are starting to think for themselves.

You can smell their fear.Their lies are being exposed one after another.Their denial makes them even more vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The government's bad for mental health, given that the budget to cover that particular area has been slashed to ribbons (along with everything else), and not enough money was spent on it before the slashing took place.

The Green Party is green in more ways than one.

Advertisement