Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/hints/tips wanted in soundproofing a room to rehearse at home...

Options
  • 13-11-2010 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Anyone out there practice from home with their band? I live in a semi detached house, and my neighbour seems to be out in the day, so am looking to use one room as a rehearsal room for my band. We're semi-electronic (synths, guitars, vox, no drums) - so rather than fork out paying to go to a practice room, I'd rather spend a bit of €€ now to do this at home.
    I've been reading a bit about green glue, and was curious if anyone has used it, and would recommend it? :

http://www.greenglueshop.co.uk/

I think I'm going to build some kind of internal walls that are free standing (as I wouldn't be able to wreck the walls) - maybe plywood or plasterboard...? Again, if anyone's done this kind of thing themselves, I'd love to hear about it! I can't spend tons of cash, so the cheaper the better...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

never used it but it might be a solution especially since you have no drummer

http://www.jamhub.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

sound proofing is a huge job to get right. its very dependent on the room and its sorroundings.

personally in my room in my apartment, i had to drop my ceiling by 5 inches and re-hang it on rubber hangers. for the resulting cavity we needed to rent an industrial blower and fill it (and the ceiling of adjacent rooms) with rockwool.

we build fake studded walls and the resulting partition was also filled with rockwool.

i also treated all doors and widows with a special rubber neoprene seal around the edge of the frames.

airvents needed to be replaced with a special 1 way soundproofed system.

i decoupled the monitors for the floor as best as possible with monitor stands and rubber seats so that as little of the monitor enclosure is connected to the speaker mount on top of the stands.

im on the ground floor so i didnt have to worry about floor treatments.

all in all this gives some fairly good soundproofing. i can still here a low rumble outside the room at a loud volume but without building a floating room its the best i could manage.

it cost me quite a bit of cash though and the ratio of cash to actual results isnt exactly great.

also a major consideration is that you will lose a lot of room space and thats before you add any acoustic treatment to the walls, which you will need to do as all the soundproofing can deaden the room a little too much and your rehearsal sound would be too alien to your ears without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sprstrs

seannash wrote: »
    never used it but it might be a solution especially since you have no drummer

http://www.jamhub.com/

I think I'm going with the Jamhub option... I'd sorta heard about this thing a few months ago, but didn't pay much attention to it. Seems like (for me at least) it will be the right solution. We've no drummer, so it's very suitable. I've only heard good things about, so will keep you all posted on what it's actually like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

That looks cool.

As damagedtrax said, there's no easy stick on solution. You need mass, you can't break the laws of physics. A room within a room is the only way to do that.

Advertisement