Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless dongle for iMac G4.

Options
  • 13-11-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My brother picked up an old G4 recently and wants to use it for web browsing. Just wondering if there are any issues with wifi dongles, or if there any people who have had trouble with them on macs. I would really like to use a 802.11n dongle as I have an n router and other PCs with n wireless cards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I've used a 3 dongle with a Mac and it was fine. Well.. fine for a dongle.. Afair it came with compatible software.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Gordon wrote: »
    I've used a 3 dongle with a Mac and it was fine. Well.. fine for a dongle.. Afair it came with compatible software.
    Cool beans, my main concern is that it runs an earlier version of OS X (10.1.2 I think).

I was on 10.4 at the time, might want to check with the provider.

Gordon wrote: »
    I was on 10.4 at the time, might want to check with the provider.
    Sorry I should have stated, this is for my home network and not mobile broadband (if you are referring to mobile bb)

Ah right, sorry, no idea dude! I nearly got one once, but didn't in the end due to various other reasons.

• Advertisement

Bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

My only experience of USB wireless dongles was a while ago with a D-Link DWL-G122 which is now discontinued. It worked OK on an G3 iBook ( no internal wireless ). The problem with non AirPort/AirPort express cards is the lack of Mac drivers. Here is an explanation of the problems associated with the dongle I used. If you could get a PCI card that had a Ralink chip set , there are Mac drivers available.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

I had the exact same G4 your talking about, bought one of the those dongles and had nothing but trouble, you have to use the software that comes with them and its not very mac friendly. If I where you I'd pick up an Airport Extreme Card and install that, some ones selling one here:

http://adverts.ie/311488

And there pretty easy to install as its just under the base, see below pictures:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iMac-G4-17-Inch-Model-M9168LLA-Hard-Drive-Replacement/4176/1

Advertisement