Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Itunes 10.1

Options
  • 13-11-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi Folks

After installing update 10.1 for Itunes on my MBP, Itunes will no longer work for me. I get a dialogue box saying there was an error and it asks me to re-install the application.

This might be a silly question but here goes: how exactly do I go about re-installing this?

Do I just go to the Apple website and download the latest version? I downloaded this but before installing same, it brought me through a lot of screens which seemed to treat me as a new user - does this mean I'll lose all my playlists and downloaded Podcasts?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Austin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Follow these steps to remove everything bar your library and preference files and then run the PKG installer to put it back on. All going well it should load as it used to.

You should be asked to accept the license after each update or install, that's nothing unusual. If it goes through the rest of the initial set up it could mean a problem with your library file.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

Aidan

I clicked on your link and was able to follow steps 1 - 11 perfectly.

From then on I got into difficulties. For example when I open my Finder I have no option to choose 'Go" as instructed in step 12. Is this because I have one of the newer MBP's from July 2010?

I couldn't find any of the folders or files noted in steps 13 to 18.

Anyway I tried to muddle through as best I could, deleted most itunes files and stayed away from anything called 'library'. I downloaded Itunes 10.1 again from the Apple website and when I opened the new version everything was gone.

Am I up the Swanny now? Luckily I did backup a lot of stuff to disc about 4 weeks ago, but I'm concerrned that all my Iphone/Ipad apps and about 30 subsequent tunes purchased in Itunes are gone now.

What do you reckon?

Austin

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

OK panic over!

I located the Itunes Media folder which had all my stuff in it. Just imported this back into Itunes and job done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

In future before installing any updates (even those that like iTunes do not require a restart) maybe get into the habit of using Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility to repair disk permissions.

Glad you got out of your difficulties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Looks like your problem was the iTunes Library file getting corrupted or damaged during the initial problems, hence the blank library. Glad to hear the media was alright though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement