Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best graphics card for my system?

Options
  • 13-11-2010 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm wondering what graphics card would suit my pc for editing high def footage (1080-720 @ 60fps) for music videos and short films not longer then ten minutes? I have a dell core 2 quad cpu @ 2.4ghz, 4 gig ram.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

What are you using to edit? If you're a Premiere Pro CS5 user then go for something high end in the Nvidia range, 260 GTX or higher as they're CUDA enabled and you can use the Mercury Playback Engine Worth noting some cards may need a a hack to enable them, found here...

http://www.indiev.org/?p=308

Aside from that its not really going to make a major difference. Video editing is a lot more dependant on your processor then your gpu. You've always got the option of the workstation graphics cards (Nvidia's Tessla and Quadro range, and ATI's Firepro range) but probably overkill unless you're doing serious 3d work which from the sounds of things you're not.

So in brief, if you're using Premiere Pro CS5 go for a good Nvidia, and if not it probably doesnt matter what you go for, its your cpu which will make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

depends on the video editing package. As mentioned above Premiere pro cs5 has the mercury playback engine which makes good use of certain nvidia cards. PP5 requires a 64 bit system. I'm using nvidia gtx 285 on pp5 and it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Leo Sutl

Thanks for the replies,

I'm using vegas pro 9 on a 32bit system, Like I said mostly under ten minute films/music videos, no 3D, just some green screen and basic effects. At the moment the software is running alright but can get a bit sluggish if I pile on the effects.

I figure if I can get a card between 100/200 euro it would just tighten up the performance sufficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Totally your call, its never a bad thing to have a better video card but just dont be suprised when it makes absolutely zero difference to your video editing. If your software isnt really using your gpu then upgrading it really wont make any difference. You may as well upgrade your shoes, your coffee cup or your office chair....all nice things to have but they wont make any difference to the performance of Sony Vegas. Honestly the best thing you could do with that money is upgrade your processor and then if you have change left upgrade your ram, they're the only things you'll see making any significant difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Leo Sutl

I hear ya . . . Thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement
Advertisement