Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 year old little girl searched in america

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

digme wrote: »

what's the joke - is it that you think they shouldn't search kids at all or how they did it in this case? (not particularly sensitively apparantly).

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Not nice to watch but to be fair to the airport staff they have procedures and had to follow them. I would have no problem with a child being searched if something triggered the need for the search, as opposed to just randomly deciding to do it. Once the child is calm and reason explained then it should go without problems. I would not be comfortable with a general rule that children are not searched.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

RGDATA! wrote: »
    what's the joke - is it that you think they shouldn't search kids at all or how they did it in this case? (not particularly sensitively apparantly).

The fact that the TSA admit that this is a problem and it needs to be addressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Novus ordos seclorum, welcome and have a nice trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Torakx wrote: »
    Novus ordos seclorum, welcome and have a nice trip.

"New Order of the Ages" is on the Great Seal of the USA, so yes, welcome and have a nice trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Storm in a teacup. The rules say if you set off the alarm you have to be hand searched. Personally if I was the employee, given what has happened in the US previously, I wouldn't want to be the one who didn't do the search or didn't do it properly. For example many shoplifters use children to shoplift or to hide stolen goods on. And the TSA guy need to grow a set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Looks to me like the parent can't control their child. I bet Asian kids get searched all the time and there's no outcry. Journalists making the news, imho.

Bit of everything i think.
    The U.S.A should stop provoking hate as a country.Thereby forcing/helping them to harrass citizens and visitors because of national security.

The mother should have trained her child to allow strangers to touch her in strange places(sarcasm to make a point) and also the difference between dangerous strangers and ones who are just doing their job and finding no enjoyment in the touching(good luck teaching a 3 year old these things) I think the childs reaction was totally warranted and a very good defence to have learned.
    She was probably dragged on a trip somewhere and didnt want to go through security.The whole process was most likely all against her will.She could teach us adults a thing or two about "god" given rights, she was practising them there and then.
    I wouldnt let someone drag me through an airport(to then get felt up) if i didnt like it.Unfortunatly a child has no choice and i put the blame on the controlling factor of that nation aka the government as an institution or organisation or whatever it is now for the situation.

Arent asian kids notoriously quiet because when they cry the parent pinches their feet? If so its a social factor and leaves the child open to abuse later on as its desensitized and learns to not speak out.
    Hhhmm could be an interesting way to govern a country.Make everyone introverted and quiet so theydont complain when you treat them like crap...Oh that actually sounds like china lol
    Reminds me of a blog i read about a mass social experiement in Denmark.
    I do also think the reporter might have been "lucky" to get that on camera....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

Arent asian kids notoriously quiet because when they cry the parent pinches their feet? If so its a social factor and leaves the child open to abuse later on as its desensitized and learns to not speak out..

Do you have any source for this nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭silkworm53

A child could be used by terrorists to smuggle weapons or explosives or by a drug dealer to smuggle contraband on a plane.
    Those parents need to hit that child a smack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The kid probably didnt want her meth getting picked up on the xray.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

People really think ACTUAL terrorists would be stupid enough to use a plane these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

They should have given her this book to read first. :D
    201011111141.jpg
    The kid was having a strop, not standing up for any "god" given rights. Good chance that whatever the parents wanted to do, the little brat would be awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Pathetic 3 yo!!,

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

I brought my 77 year old dad to the UK earlier this year and on the return journey at the airport he was searched whilst sitting in his wheelchair and then lifted out of his wheelchair so it could be searched.I thought this was going a bit far.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

digme wrote: »
    what a joke

Wasn't it a joke nearly 3 years ago when the incident happened? What's brought it up today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I couldnt watch that clip,it pi$$ed me off....

The father is clearly brainwashed and doesnt care about them treating his daughter like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nathan Berburoc

as distasteful as it is to scare the bejesus out of little kids by searching them ,id rather they scared a thousand kids for a few seconds with a search than have a single child die ( or be orphaned)due to a terrorist attack on a plane.

the people we should be angry with for causing this kind of distress and interuption to our free society are the terrorists,not the security forces which are daily fighting an uphill struggle to deter these attacks.they certainly could have had done it in a more child friendly manner

on a related note did you notice a few weeks ago that when British Airways bosses said that security should be steppped down as they were cow-toeing to the US that magically within hours there was a bomb discovered in a printer cartrige....what a co-inky-dink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Have to say I've been to the states with my daughter numerous times (first time she was almost 3 last time she went was in October with my sister)
    Never had ANY problems whatsoever with the TSA

I did however have a MAJOR problem with security in London Heathrow when we were on our WAY BACK to Ireland from one of our trips

Three of us travelling together, my sister, yours truly and my daughter (4 at the time)

My daughter is the image of me, there is no way in hells earth you could look at the 2 of us without realising we are related, same dark hair, same dark eyes, both tall (well she is tall for her age) we are obviously related

BUT
    for some bizarre reason which was never explained security in Heathrow would not let the 3 of us with our Irish passports board the plane to Ireland without taking my 4 year old aside into an office to question her on her own :eek:

I went ape
    I'm sorry but the child was 4 there was no way I was letting her go off to be questioned by 2 strange men without me but they refused to let me go with her as they wanted to "establish her identity without outside influence"

As it happens it was my daughter who sorted the problem herself
    She told them her daddy had toid her that while she was on holidays she was NEVER to leave her mammy and never to talk to strangers and her daddy was a Garda so she HAD TO do what she was told!
    She told them to ring the Garda station in Ireland if they had a problem with this :D

4 going on 40 I'm telling ye!

Seriously though it put me off flying through Heathrow ever again
    Direct flights from Shannon to NYC may be more expensive but its worth every penny!

now thats scary ,taking the child off you to be interviewed.....there must have been something going on in the airport with child trafficing or custody

at least she kept her head anyway :)

• Advertisement

as distasteful as it is to scare the bejesus out of little kids by searching them ,id rather they scared a thousand kids for a few seconds with a search than have a single child die ( or be orphaned)due to a terrorist attack on a plane.

the people we should be angry with for causing this kind of distress and interuption to our free society are the terrorists,not the security forces which are daily fighting an uphill struggle to deter these attacks.they certainly could have had done it in a more child friendly manner

on a related note did you notice a few weeks ago that when British Airways bosses said that security should be steppped down as they were cow-toeing to the US that magically within hours there was a bomb discovered in a printer cartrige....what a co-inky-dink

Dont know about anyone else but i see two contradicting things here.
    you say we should be angry at the terrorists for forcing us to do this to our citizens.
    Yet at the end admit the an airline publiciesed it was dropping security and then coincedently there wa sa silly ink cartridge bomb?
    Do you really think terrorists on hearing of lowered security would be stupid enough to try plant a bomb on one plane?(hich happened to be found coincedently too!) Talk about walking into a trap.
    I see it as the security guys giving us reasons to allow them to up it even more.Otherwise we might not have heard about that security being lowered in the first place.Or am i missing something there.I could be.
    It just doesnt sound logical to me yet.

@Angelfire9 that is a nice story.Its great to hear of parents educating their kids like this.That is one smart daughter you have there!
    for what its worth i think if i had kids i would not let them seperate me either.I would insist on leaving and would get a ferry or something lol
    As an irish and eu citizen i dont think they can seperate you from your daughter legally/lawfully and especially not in another country.
    I think we have some rights just about left but not much longer i fear.

Perhaps your not familiar with the story Torakx,heres the relevant link to the guardian article ,it was the chairman of BA complaining about superfluos security measures,he wasnt advertising a reduction because the reduction hadnt taken place yet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/27/airport-security-rules-uk-us

theres no contradiction there , i was insinuating that TPTB possibly within the US government were attempting to show the necessity of extra security
    its a common enough occurance these days to be almost cliche.when funding is needed for a given threat,or when justification is needed to impliment a law or in extremem cases an invasion then suddenly the relevant alarm/threat/oppurtunity presents itself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

@Angelfire9 that is a nice story.Its great to hear of parents educating their kids like this.That is one smart daughter you have there!
    for what its worth i think if i had kids i would not let them seperate me either.I would insist on leaving and would get a ferry or something lol
    As an irish and eu citizen i dont think they can seperate you from your daughter legally/lawfully and especially not in another country.
    I think we have some rights just about left but not much longer i fear.

I would imagine they would have the right to take the child if they had legitimate reason to believe she was being kidnapped or something I don't know and I don't want to find out!

She wasn't educated specifically to be suspicious (i think she is her daddy's daughter in that respect) she's just WAY too old for her years! :D

Advertisement