Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to bring wife for a weekend Xmas shopping spree

Options
  • 13-11-2010 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Folks,

This year I'm going to try and pull together enough money for 2 nights away in a hotel and €500 for Mrs Boobar to splash on herself.

Where is the best place to go in Ireland that will have a great Xmas buzz about it and lots of shops for the lady who likes fashion.

With all the doom and gloom, I want to try and make this a good one for the Mrs before the belt tightening starts in the new year.

Advice on a hotel would be great too....we'll be bringing a 2 year old with us so family friendly would be great.

Boobar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Well I am very jealous of mrs boobar right now:D. Anyway fair play to you op I am sure she will be thrilled. Go Ireland are doing 2 night hotel breaks at the moment, have a look at for reviews on trip advisor that will make your choice easier. Would you consider heading north Derry is great it has a fab shopping centre everything in it, I think when you have a little one shopping centres make things a lot easier less treking about the place. Dundrum is great but huge and time consuming. Galway is really good too. I would stick to somewhere no longer than a2hr drive from where you live more time for shopping and leisure! Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

Athlone has big shopping centre with lovely hotels and excellent restaurants, so it'd get my vote if you want to get out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

You know it would probably be cheaper and more exciting if you can find a cheap flight to Germany or somewhere like that for a Christmas market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

would throw out Belfast as a suggestion.

Dublin is good and has loads of shops to choose from...I live near Dundrum so dont see it as being a good shopping centre - for me ...Belfast is best.

Cork has a good selection of decent hotels and shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Thanks folks,

Some great suggestions. I'm going to look into them.

As regards Belfast and Germany, I am trying to keep the money in the Irish economy as a presonal choice. I'm sure these places are very nice and if times were different, I'd definitely consider them, but I'd feel very bad about soending money that wasn't going to help Irish jobs and businesses now.

Boobar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Galway is lovely for shopping, lots of kooky shops as well as BTs, M&S, Next etc. Lovely hotels and great places to eat. Get my vote.

I was also going to suggest Belfast but I totally get your point of keeping the money in the state. WE are shopping local this year.

Athlone has a few nice hotels and the shops are ok but Galway would be my pick

Advertisement