Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Porterhouse Nasau St ?

Options
  • 12-11-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

Wat age do you have to be to get in here ?
    Is it 18s + or 20s+ ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Joekers wrote: »
    Wat age do you have to be to get in here ?
    Is it 18s + or 20s+ ?

Whatever the management say I guess. Perhaps you should call up and ask and see to avoid disappointment on the day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I was allowed in during the day when I was 18. Might be different at night though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Did all that over 21 stuff not go away with age discrimination legislation?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It did, briefly. Then came back in with section 25 of the 2003 Intoxicating Liquor Act:
    (4) If—

(a) the holder of a licence or other authorisation which permits the sale of intoxicating liquor adopts a policy of refusing to supply intoxicating liquor to any person below a specified age which exceeds 18 years,

(b) a notice setting out the policy is displayed in a conspicuous place in or on the exterior of the premises, and

(c) the policy is implemented in good faith,

a refusal to serve intoxicating liquor to such a person shall not constitute discrimination on the age ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

BeerNut wrote: »
    It did, briefly. Then came back in with section 25 of the 2003 Intoxicating Liquor Act:

Interesting!

Mind you, going by the letter of the law above, it looks like they could refuse to serve alcohol to a person under 21 but could not refuse entry.

My local has an 'over 21s only' sign behind the bar but it isn't really implemented. I mean, they certainly don't serve under ages but they don't refuse under 21s either.

I wonder if that would be considered a breach of 'good faith' if they ever refused someone on the basis of age....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Flyer28 wrote: »
    Interesting!

Mind you, going by the letter of the law above, it looks like they could refuse to serve alcohol to a person under 21 but could not refuse entry.

My local has an 'over 21s only' sign behind the bar but it isn't really implemented. I mean, they certainly don't serve under ages but they don't refuse under 21s either.

I wonder if that would be considered a breach of 'good faith' if they ever refused someone on the basis of age....

As I understand it the Law bars underage people from being on the premises subject to a few conditions, mainly related to parties/functions and food being served. The Law also bars those under 18 from being served drinks so it's a double indemnity.

The Age thing was amended after the Equality act as some venues who aimed at a, say, a more mature or a niche market (Like over 35's nightclubs or a lesbian night in a club) had no way or means of stopping those at whom they weren't looking to attract from coming in; the punter almost had the publicans by the goolies on this. The Equality Act still applies as you can't be discriminated on 13 distinct grounds but for the purposes of keeping tabs on what sort of customer you wanted in it made things easier to deal with.

So they claimed at the time;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

As I understand it the Law bars underage people from being on the premises subject to a few conditions, mainly related to parties/functions and food being served. The Law also bars those under 18 from being served drinks so it's a double indemnity.
    No, I don't think it is. The law relating to under-18s is not relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

;)

I know but my point is that it reads like an establishment could not refuse entry to a person over 18 on the basis of an 'over 21s' policy but they could refuse to serve them an alcoholic drink if they are not over a specified age.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I'm 19 and have been in there at night, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

If I recall correctly the Equal Status Act allows owners of licenced premises to maintain age policies at the door without being caught by the equality legislation.

But Porterhouse Nassau St has always been 18s as far as I am aware. Any night of the week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement